Challenge event fundraisers are a vital part of Sarcoma UK's plan to become a £3million charity. We have seen impressive growth in our reach, our offer, and our income. We launched our Support Line in 2016, the Sarcoma Clinical Trials Hub in 2018, and we have invested over £4.29million in sarcoma research to date.
Our fundraising team is pivotal in ensuring the success of the charity. Our fundraising practices are based on strategic planning and commitment to providing a “Gold Standard” approach to donor, fundraiser, and supporter stewardship. Our fundraising approach is to build long-term, meaningful relationships with donors and fundraisers based on transparency, respect, and the clear demonstration of the value of their involvement. We work closely as a team, to open up relationships in community and challenge events, philanthropy, corporates and legacies. We want to create event opportunities to engage with the whole sarcoma community, ensuring our fundraising offers are competitive.
We are looking for a Challenge Events Officer to maximise income and opportunities from Sarcoma UK’s challenge events portfolio.
You will be joining an enthusiastic, exciting and fast-paced team, supporting our challenge fundraisers, responding to enquiries, thanking our supporters and supporting our marketing activities.
Hours: Full time (37.5 hours per week)
Location: Home and office-based (Old Street, London N1)
- Up to 5% matched contribution to Sarcoma UK pension scheme
- Sarcoma UK life insurance scheme
- 25 days holiday entitlement per annum plus bank holidays and the working days between Christmas and New Year
- Interest-free season ticket and bicycle loan
To support the delivery of Sarcoma UK’s fundraising strategy, with specific focus on challenge events fundraising and virtual events.
Duties and key responsibilities
Sarcoma UK sponsored and third-party challenge events
- Act as primary point of contact and adviser for individual fundraisers taking on challenges with Sarcoma UK places or taking part in those events with their own places, ensuring they receive the appropriate, gold-standard support and materials with the aim of maximising fundraising and encouraging long-term support.
- Support the delivery of the Sarcoma UK London Marathon project, including the virtual London Marathon, the Running Show and after party events.
- Act as primary point of contact for Sarcoma UK’s virtual event portfolio, ensuring the challenges are up to date and following current trends.
- Administer the challenge events process including; ensuring all challenge event participants register by the deadline set by the challenge organisers, adhering to challenge event credit controls (internal and external) and completing evaluations after the event.
- Create personalised stewardship journeys for challenge event fundraisers to ensure all participants meet or exceed their fundraising pledge.
- Develop tailored fundraising packs and materials for challenge event fundraisers.
- Monitor third party fundraising platforms, such as Sport for Charity. Keeping track of new fundraisers taking part in Sarcoma UK sponsored events, to ensure they enter the Supporter Journey.
- Identify new challenge events in which the charity can participate to grow the challenge event portfolio. Prepare cases for investment and delivery.
- Work with the Communications team to develop marketing plans for challenge events to fill all charity places.
- Ensure online and offline marketing content for challenge events remains up to date and relevant.
- Organise appropriate on-the-day activities for Sarcoma UK’s challenge events, with a focus on supporting participants, celebrating their achievements and thanking them personally.
- Ensure all challenge event fundraisers are thanked with timely letters, and impact letter follow-up when appropriate.
- Market challenge events online and offline to recruit participants, working with the Communications team and Events Manager to develop a year-long communications plan.
- Keep up to date with new fundraising platforms and challenge organisers with whom Sarcoma UK can work to broaden third party challenge offerings.
- Stay up-to date with the latest knowledge in fundraising and ensure Sarcoma UK’s processes and procedures follow best practice.
- Keep thank you letters relevant, working with the Community Fundraising and In Memory Officer to keep the content regularly updated.
- Keep accurate and up to date records on Sarcoma UK’s database, the Raiser’s Edge.
- Work with the Communications team to share case studies, fundraising stories and achievements, as well as update social media.
- Identify press opportunities and liaise with the Communications team to fulfil these.
- Ensure that information used to inform supporters on the impact of their fundraising is kept up to date.
- Monitor fundraising stock alongside Community Fundraising and In Memory Officer to ensure all materials are available. Work with the Fundraising and Communications teams to design and order existing and new materials.
- Identify philanthropic leads during the course of normal duties and work with the philanthropy team to follow these up.
- Provide support at Sarcoma UK’s fundraising events.
- The Challenge Events Officer will be working in a developing environment and therefore may need to provide support on other projects across the Fundraising team.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.