Research is at the heart of our charitable objectives at Sarcoma UK. As we look to launch our new Research Strategy in 2021, we are seeking to recruit a new Research Officer to provide support to our expanding research programme.
The Research Officer role involves a varied workload, and brings the opportunity to work with autonomy and develop news skills within a dynamic team. You will work on a broad range of projects, including taking the lead on our grants management processes, with the support of the Director of Research, Policy and Support. The role will also involve working collaboratively with other departments across the organisation to develop engaging research related content for digital and print, as well as monitoring the outputs and impact of our research funding.
To date, Sarcoma UK has funded 56 research projects, representing an investment of over £3.5 million. We have developed our research grants management programme significantly in the last few years and are now looking to expand our programme and widen our patient involvement and collaborative partnerships work.
This is an ideal role for someone with a scientific background and an active interest in research management, and it offers the opportunity to make a real impact for people affected by sarcoma and their families.
Salary: £28,500 p.a.
Hours: Full-time (37.5 hours per week)
Location: Home and office based - Old Street, London N1 (The proportion worked at home will depend on coronavirus restrictions in place but it is expected that at least 2 days per week will permanently be based at home)
Reports to: Director of Research, Policy and Support
Benefits: Up to 5% matched contribution to Sarcoma UK pension scheme; interest-free season ticket and bicycle loan. 25 days’ holiday entitlement per annum plus bank holidays and the working days between Christmas and New Year when the office is shut.
To administer and support Sarcoma UK’s scientific research programme in order to maximise the charity’s investment and impact.
Duties and key responsibilities
Sarcoma UK’s research programme
- To manage the charity’s grant application processes under guidance from the Director of Research, Policy and Support. This will include calls for proposals, peer review, communication with applicants and potential applicants, administration of grant awards and supporting patient involvement.
- To provide support to the Research Advisory Committee (RAC) and any other research panels, working with the Director of Research, Policy and Support, the Chair of the RAC and its members.
- To manage the charity’s portfolio of active research grants. This will include administration of newly awarded grants, monitoring progress of current grants, oversight of grant finances and reporting on final outputs.
Research communication and impact
- To monitor and report on the outputs and longer term impact of research grants.
- To support engaging communication about sarcoma research, working with grant holders and Sarcoma UK’s communications team to ensure our research activities and outcomes are shared with the sarcoma community and the wider public.
- To be the point of contact for Sarcoma UK grant holders and their host institutions.
- To maintain positive relationships with Sarcoma UK’s Research Advisory Committee, potential grant applicants, researchers and clinicians, and the wider sarcoma research community.
- To support the integration of the research programme across the charity as a whole.
- To support new projects within the research team
- The post holder will be working in a developing environment and he/she will therefore be required to undertake other appropriate duties as necessary, for the efficient operation of Sarcoma UK.
- Attend Sarcoma UK events and take part in Sarcoma UK’s wider work.
- Organise research-related events.
- The role will require occasional travel to meeting and events. Occasional weekend or evening work may also be required and time off in lieu will be given.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.