The job of a Save the Children’s UK Digital Technical Lead is busy and impactful.
- Do you have experience of developing online or multi-channel transactional applications?
- Do you have extensive web development experience across Back End development?
- Do you have demonstrable experience of web/digital technologies in a marketing environment?
- Are you motivated by our vision of creating a world where every child doesn’t just survive, but thrives, and can go on to change the world?
If the answers to these questions are yes, we would love to hear from you!
Save the Children UK believes every child deserves a future. In the UK and around the world, we work every day to give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. When crisis strikes, and children are most vulnerable, we are always among the first to respond and the last to leave. We ensure children’s unique needs are met and their voices are heard. We deliver lasting results for millions of children, including those hardest to reach.
Reporting to the Head of Service Delivery & Operations, the Digital Technical Lead will be responsible for leading on our digital platforms and ensuring they are architected, configured and developed in line with recognised best practices.
The Digital Technical Lead is a key senior role within the organisation and will work in our Engineering department as part of our Technology team.
Key duties will include leading and developing a small team of front and back end developers, proactively working with the product manager and agile coach to deliver upcoming features and tasks from the backlog and acting as a peer reviewer.
The Digital Technical Lead will also play an active role in reviewing our existing digital platform and feeding into any potential re-platforming or otherwise substantial changes to our setup.
As a rights-based organisation, we are committed to anti-racism and actively opposed systemic oppression of any form. The role holder will also support our commitment to celebrate diversity, challenge inequality, and build an inclusive environment for every one of our employees so we can better represent the children we protect.
The Digital Technical Lead’s key duties will be to:
- Design and build well architected digital web-based solutions, enhancements and configurations to meet business needs according to agreed project and development plans
- Lead on making decisions and best practice to execute and deliver roadmap items
- Line manage and develop a small team of 2 x Digital Front End and 2 Java Engineers
- Own, oversee, and drive improvement of the software development practice across the delivery team & coach/mentor other developers
- Proactively work with the Product manager and the Agile Coach on upcoming features in assigning and managing tasks from the backlog, as well as discussing team performance
- Turn around key features and own the release management
- Work with the Technology Department to ensure full integration of Application, DevOps & Technical Support
- Work closely with the Test Function and DevOps on any upgrades and developments to ensure live operations are safeguarded
- Assist with Cloud platform development and associated technologies
- Translating business requirements to technical solutions ensuring Save the Children UK is at the cutting edge in an “always on” world
Essential Technical Skills Required
- Experience of developing online or multi-channel transactional applications
- Extensive web development experience across Back End development
- Demonstrable experience of web/digital technologies in a marketing environment
- Solid experience in required technologies and concepts including:
- Adobe AEM/CQ – other leading CMS experience
- HTML5 and CSS3
- XML and Web Services
- RESTful APIs for websites
- Cloud Architecture and Containers
- Security and performance
- Good experience of development automation tools and concepts – test, build and release
- Scrum experience of working within a continuous and iterative delivery cycle
- Extensive experience leading projects on a CMS (ideally AEM Adobe Experience Manager / Adobe CQ platform) including the full software lifecycle of site planning, template design, custom component development, end to end testing, and deployment
- Ability to understand, interpret and challenge business requirements and translate these into a developed solution
- Excellent experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in.
- A demonstrable commitment to the principles of diversity and inclusion and their practical application and integration in the work environment
- A commitment to Save the Children UK’s aims and core values of accountability, ambition, collaboration, creativity, and integrity
Save the Children UK is committed to diversity and equality of opportunity in all aspects of our work both external and internal. We strive to be an inclusive employer and particularly encourage applications from under-represented groups such as returning parents or carers who are re-entering work after a career break, people who are LGBT+, from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic backgrounds, with a disability, impairment, learning difference or long-term condition, with caring responsibilities, from different nations and regions, and from less advantaged socioeconomic backgrounds.