Save the Children believes every child deserves a future. We work every day around the world to give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. When crisis strikes and children are most vulnerable, we are always among the first to respond and the last to leave. We ensure children's unique needs are met and their voices are heard. We deliver lasting results for millions of children, including those hardest to reach.
We do whatever it takes for children – every day and in times of crisis – transforming their lives and the future we share.
We are seeking a dynamic self-starter and team player with a proven track record of initiative to join our Global Media Unit, which leads on securing international media coverage for the important work we do to improve children's lives. You will drive global media coverage, with a focus on our work saving children in humanitarian disasters, and on ongoing development issues.
As Global Media Manager you will generate media activity in international media, in line with our organisational priorities. You will act as key focal point for media management at time of humanitarian disasters, coordinating media responses across multiple countries, as well as large global international launches and influencing opportunities. In addition you will:
- Maintain a strong network of contacts with international journalists as well as identify and build key international partnerships
- Collaborate across advocacy, policy and fundraising, taking the lead in preparing external communication products that align divisions and reflect our key messaging
- Influence Save the Children's campaign and advocacy plans to help achieve media objectives
- Liaise closely with Save the Children member media teams across the world and develop strong, positive relationships
- Contribute to out of hours media rota
- Be a spokesperson on Save the Children issues
To be successful you will be an excellent communicator, with the ability to convey complex information quickly and concisely. You will have significant experience as a news journalist or a press officer in an international setting, with a track record of excellent coverage delivered to deadline and a clear understanding of digital and social media. You will be a self-starter and strong team player who is able to work both independently and collaboratively often managing competing priorities.
In addition you will have:
- A degree in journalism, communications, international development or related field, or equivalent work experience
- Excellent writing skills for press releases, media briefings, opinion pieces and the crafting of key messages
- Demonstrable ability to work to tight deadlines, juggling several priorities at once
- Strong and demonstrable experience in working on multimedia for news purposes
- Knowledge of key international and child development and rights issues and debates
- Strong verbal communication skills & ability to do broadcast interviews
- Strong knowledge of different needs for variety of influential international media outlets
- Experience in working with or for international news outlets
- Ability to pitch stories persuasively
- Experience in working in a complex organizational model, serving and working to multiple stakeholders at once and using influence to drive preferred outcomes
- Experience in living and or working in high risk locations, with a strong understanding of risks and mitigations
- Excellent knowledge of social media, including a track-record of working with or for news agencies to amplify news work on social channels
- Experience of project managing complex media outcomes across different outlets and across different countries
The ability to travel at short notice—often to developing and or insecure contexts, occasionally in difficult working environments—is essential. Fluency in a second language and ability to collect multimedia content (photos and video) would be an advantage.
At Save the Children we are committed to the safeguarding and protection of children in our work. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work with children are recruited to work for us. This post is subject to a range of vetting checks including a criminal records disclosure.
At Save the Children our mission is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. If you share our mission, are passionate about making it happen and strongly believe you can contribute then join us and we'll give you every opportunity to succeed. We look forward to hearing from you.
Closing date: 31st May 2020
We particularly welcome applications from people with disabilities, Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic (BAME) backgrounds, LGBT+ and from different socio-economic and educational backgrounds, as these are underrepresented at Save the Children UK.