Fixed term contract for 6 months
Do you want to be part of an organisation that fights for children every single day? Then join us as Health & Safety Adviser and assist in implementing strategies in order to meet Save the Children UK’s legislative requirements in our offices, shops, programmes, events and activities across the UK and abroad.
In our Support Services department, we fight for children every single day. We provide leadership and direction to the business so that we run an efficient organisation. We ensure our resources are used to maximum effect.
As Health & Safety Adviser you will be have two primary objectives for the period of employment which are to review and update key Health and Safety Policies and Procedures for the charity, and to support the Health and Safety Manager on the successful implementation of new on-line Health and Safety training, including a DSE self-assessment module. You will also assist the Health and Safety Manager on safety, health and welfare matters to ensure that Save the Children complies with its statutory obligations, including those arising from the coronavirus pandemic. In addition you will:
• Understand the application of the Health and Safety at Work, etc. Act 1974 and other legislation relevant to the charity and make recommendations to ensure they are managed appropriately
• Keep up to date with changes in current legislation and apply this to the decision-making process
• Assist in ensuring that all assessments as required by legislation are conducted and reviewed at relevant intervals
• Conduct health and safety inspections as required within the charity’s operations and prepare reports
• Initiate immediate communication with the person responsible for health and safety in the respective area if situations are found, that in the post holder’s opinion, require immediate rectification or the stopping of any operation.
To be successful you will be qualified to NEBOSH General Certificate level or equivalent with experience in a Health & Safety role. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are also essential in order to work with, provide advice to, train, and promote excellence in health and safety to all staff. You will also have experience in drafting health and safety policies to a high standard. In addition you will have:
• Experience of supporting the implementation of online health and safety training modules
• A persuasive approach, and ability to liaise and collaborate with multiple stakeholders across Save the Children
• The ability to organise and prioritise workload in a busy and fast changing environment
• The capability to remain flexible within core working hours and occasionally out of hours.
At Save the Children we are committed to the safeguarding and protection of children in our work. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work with children are recruited to work for us. This post is subject to a range of vetting checks including a criminal records disclosure.
If you share our belief in the power of children, join the fight. It takes relentless determination, creativity and a real commitment to real change. Because every child should be able to make their mark on their world, and help to build a better future. We look forward to hearing from you.
Closing date: 30th September 2020