6 month Fixed Term Contract
East and Southern Africa with International Travel
Do you want to play a key role in an organisation which stands up for children? Then join us as Humanitarian WASH Regional Advisor within the East and Southern Africa (ESA) region. You will have the chance to contribute to the quality of the humanitarian WASH programming in the Region, both remotely and by deployments.
In our Humanitarian department, we fight for children every single day. We integrate emergency and development work, through our country programmes. We increase our capacity to meet the assistance and protection needs of children and their families affected by crises. We go the extra mile - and we don’t rest until the work is done.
As Humanitarian WASH Regional Advisor, you will have primary leadership in advising WASH programmes within Save the Children’s East and Southern Africa region, helping to build programme quality, scope and scale through remote support and country visits, capacity building approaches, rolling out policy and innovation, and through advocacy at different levels. In addition you will:
- Support development of country, and regional sector strategies for WASH, Health and Nutrition to ensure sustainable growth of the combined country WASH, Health and Nutrition portfolios
- Lead on WASH or multi-sectoral technical assessments in coordination with other SCUK thematic areas and/or other external sector agencies, ensuring assessment findings are documented and that all assessments include a specific analysis of children’s needs
- Lead on fundraising for the WASH sector, including development of high quality concept notes and proposals, and engagement with donors’ Technical Advisers
- Coach and mentor WASH Technical Advisers and Technical Coordinators and national level counterparts and link in to wider organisational talent development mechanisms
- Oversee development of technical training material that will improve aspects of WASH work within the region, making use of global resources.
To be successful, you will have a Master’s degree or higher in WASH engineering, civil or structural engineering, a related field, or working experience that has led to equivalent engineering knowledge and expertise. Flexible with the ability to prioritise a high and diverse workload, you should have previous regional knowledge or experience in East and/or Southern Africa. In addition you will have:
- Significant experience and a track record of success in design, implementation, and delivery of high quality emergency WASH response programmes
- A proven track record of developing programme strategies, plan, protocols and guidelines
- Experience of working to support health, HIV and nutrition programmes
- The ability and experience of delivery of training in the WASH sector
- Highly motivated and dynamic with the ability to be flexible and adaptable in difficult environments.
At Save the Children we are committed to the safeguarding and protection of children in our work. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work with children are recruited to work for us. This post is subject to a range of vetting checks including a criminal records disclosure.
Our mission is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. If you share our mission, are passionate about making it happen and strongly believe you can contribute then join us and we'll give you every opportunity to succeed. We look forward to hearing from you.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply - please note that a competitive national package applies.
Closing date: Monday 15th July 2019