Farringdon, London with international travel
The job of a Save the Children UK's PR Manager is an exciting role working on our media outreach.
- Do you have experience working in a busy, high-pressure Press Office, Marketing/Public Relations agency or in-house?
- Do you have experience developing and executing PR strategies, including across multiple media platforms and involving different stakeholders?
- Do you have a track record of successfully obtaining media coverage in a variety of outlets for PR initiatives?
- Are you an excellent communicator with negotiation skills and the ability to adapt to different audiences?
- Do you have a commitment to Save the Children mission, values and approach (includes child focus, equal opportunities)
If the answers to these questions are yes, we would love to hear from you!
To avoid disappointment, you are advised to submit your application as soon as possible as we reserve the right to close the vacancy early if a high volume of applications are received. This is to ensure that we can manage application levels whilst maintaining a positive candidate experience. Unfortunately once a vacancy has closed, we are unable to consider further applications.
Save the Children UK believes every child deserves a future. In the UK and around the world, we work every day to give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. When crisis strikes, and children are most vulnerable, we are always among the first to respond and the last to leave. We ensure children's unique needs are met and their voices are heard. We deliver lasting results for millions of children, including those hardest to reach.
Reporting directly to the Head of PR, raising the profile of Save the Children UK amongst key target audiences, by developing and delivering projects that command media attention and coverage
You will play a crucial role in working with the media to shape major income- and influence-generating campaigns and build our brand.
You will also work alongside a wide spectrum of internal and external stakeholders, including high-profile ambassadors, influencers and corporate partners.
As a rights-based organisation, we are committed to anti-racism and actively opposed systemic oppression of any form. You will support our commitment to celebrate diversity, challenge inequality, and build an inclusive environment for every one of our employees so we can better represent the children we protect.
The PR Manager's key duties will be to:
Strategy and Project Management
Work closely with team members in other departments within Save the Children to provide excellent PR support to develop and execute creative ways to deliver on Save the Children's objectives. Delivery to include:
- Brand – Build high profile and positive perceptions of Save the Children and its cause across all audiences via PR. Communicate our brand promise and build understanding with the public and opinion formers, demonstrating the depth, scale, impact and complexity of our work.
- Campaigns – Provide PR support to deliver across high–profile moments across Save the Children's major campaigns such as Christmas Jumper Day in order to achieve mass audience engagement
- Compelling storytelling - Engage audiences through impactful child-centric stories, championing children's voices in order to empower the communities we work with.
- Reputation management – Support the wider team to protect Save the Children's reputation and identify issues relating to corporate risk management
Manage external PR agencies to help deliver successful PR moments for Save the Children
Delivering Media Coverage
- Manage and deliver popular media coverage on key strategic campaigns and initiatives.
- Write, co-ordinate and issue media releases, statements, briefing materials and Q&As, including for partners where required
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with journalists (especially those on features, women's, lifestyle, showbiz outlets) across print, digital and broadcast media including a diverse range of outlets beyond mainstream media.
- Organise and deliver media briefings for senior staff, including the Chief Executive, where needed
- Leverage social media and new technologies to develop digital-first PR campaigns, including influencer activations
- Plan, manage and participate in overseas and UK trips to Save the Children programmes for the purpose of generating coverage and content – including hosting journalists and high-profile supporters.
- Represent Save the Children as spokesperson externally, networking and building relationships that support brand building activity in the media.
- Take part in the on-call and out of hours media rota. This will see you handling media enquiries and proactively pushing out stories on the weekend and out of hours during the week.
Working across the Save the Children
- Work closely with our Artists & Influencers team to develop PR strategies around our high-profile supporters
- Surge into our Multidisciplinary Marketing Squads to develop PR strategies and provide PR consultancy for new Save the Children initiatives and campaigns.
- Work with news team and humanitarian teams to deliver feature lead stories for our emergency work
- Attend brainstorms and meetings about wider Save the Children campaigns
To keep our promises to children, to safeguard our staff, and to meet our obligations to those who support us and give us funding, we must identify – and effectively manage – the risks we face in all we do. We believe that managing risk is the responsibility of everyone within Save the Children UK, so you will be expected to play your part by:
Understanding what we mean by risk, and by identifying, reporting and managing the risks associated with your role as an integral part of your daily work;
Operating within the policies, procedures and controls set out by the charity from time to time and ensuring your team (if you have one) does the same; and
Ensuring that specific controls are in place to manage the risks within your direct area of responsibility.
- Experience working in a busy, high-pressure Press Office, Marketing/Public Relations agency or in-house
- Experience developing and executing PR strategies, including across multiple media platforms and involving different stakeholders
- Excellent personal contacts with journalists, PR and Marketing professionals
- A track record of success in obtaining media coverage in a variety of outlets for PR initiatives, backed up by portfolio of coverage
- Outstanding ability to pitch stories to key external contacts and senior media professionals
- Strong journalistic skills of identifying and shaping key media lines
- Willingness to travel within the UK
- Exceptional organisational skills, including ability to juggle short-term projects with longer-term ones
- Sound strategic thinking and planning skills, including ability to manage time effectively and set deadlines
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills with the ability to express self clearly, persuasively and a cohesive way and tailor communications to different audiences
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and make decisions on what to prioritise when working under pressure on a number of projects
- Excellent writing skills – including writing compelling press releases, features and comment pieces
- Commitment to Save the Children mission, values and approach (includes child focus, equal opportunities)
- Ability to operate within a predominately administratively self-servicing environment and computer literate
Save the Children UK is committed to diversity and equality of opportunity in all aspects of our work both external and internal. We strive to be an inclusive employer and particularly encourage applications from under-represented groups such as returning parents or carers who are re-entering work after a career break, people who are LGBT+, from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic backgrounds, with a disability, impairment, learning difference or long-term condition, with caring responsibilities, from different nations and regions, and from less advantaged socioeconomic backgrounds.