We are looking for an experienced and influential individual to join us as Senior Commercial Manager and play a vital role in securing large grants and contracts from key government donors. You will help to guide the development of proposals that respond to calls for contracts and grants.
Working in more than 120 countries, we do whatever it takes to create breakthroughs in the way the world treats children. Our UK and Global Programmes department delivers humanitarian and development programmes, builds partnerships with institutional donors – including governments, multi-laterals and trusts – and drives lasting change. Together, we save children’s lives, fight for their rights and help them fulfil their potential.
As Senior Commercial Manager you will lead/support the development of key large or complex proposals and subsequent mobilisation activities from a commercial viewpoint. You will play a key role in the Programme Partnerships Department, which leads on developing strong relationships and powerful propositions to engage and secure funding from donors for our work. You will lead on strategic engagement activities with donors and government ministries alongside our country offices. Key responsibilities of the role will be to:
• Act as commercial lead on a portfolio of live funding opportunities in consultation with the Business Development Lead, Bid Managers, Programme and Country office colleagues
• Oversee and manage upstream commercial development activities to improve our understanding of different approaches to commercial tender processes by different donors and actors
• Support negotiations with consortium partners, diversifying Save the Children’s bid partnerships with not-for-profit and private sector partners, where appropriate
• Provide guidance and coaching on commercial aspects (i.e. pricing of activities and overheads) of bid development to other members of the Business
• Provide support and strategic oversight to improve SCUK’s commercial capability across key SCUK teams/ departments to meet key donor requirements e.g. payment by result and Value for Money
• Work with country teams, finance department and operational colleagues to manage risk identification and design of mitigation in proposals and mobilisation plans.
To be successful you will have substantial experience of leading development of large budgets (£1m+) and contracts and grants involving results/milestone based payments. As a confident and assertive team player, you will be methodical with excellent attention to detail and excellent budget development skills. In addition you will have:
• Proven proposal and budget development experience
• Excellent communication and negotiation skills with the ability to present with impact to key high level stakeholders
• Experience of using financial management systems
• Problem solving skills with a solid understanding of financial and commercial principles and systems
• Experience of assessing risk and providing guidance and recommendations to organisational stakeholders
• Good networks in international development and experience with a consultancy, NGO or in the academic sector but with proven commercial acumen.
• Willingness/ability to travel internationally
At Save the Children we are committed to the safeguarding and protection of children in our work. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work with children are recruited to work for us. This post is subject to a range of vetting checks including a criminal records disclosure.
Our mission is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. If you share our mission, are passionate about making it happen and strongly believe you can contribute then join us and we'll give you every opportunity to succeed. We look forward to hearing from you.
Closing date: 12th July 202