Background to School Food Matters
School Food Matters (SFM) exists to teach children about food and to improve children’s access to healthy, sustainable food during their time at school. We provide fully funded food education programmes to schools. Our experience delivering these programmes informs and strengthens our campaigns, bringing the voices of children, parents and teachers to government policy.
Childhood Obesity Programme
Funded by Guy’s and St Thomas’ Charity (GSTC), this five-year programme will work with 80 primary and secondary schools in Lambeth and Southwark. Building on our earlier Healthy Zones programme, we have developed a variety of activities to improve the food on offer throughout the school day. We will consider the needs of each school and offer support accordingly. This will include support to develop and implement food policies and/or to introduce healthier food to after school and breakfast clubs.
- To promote and deliver Healthy Zones Phase 2 across schools in Southwark and Lambeth
- Build relationships with teachers, teaching assistants, cooks and senior leaders in primary and secondary schools in Lambeth and Southwark to improve the food they offer their students
- Deliver healthy after school club and breakfast club modules (convene working groups in schools, run simple food preparation engagement sessions (training provided), lead listening exercises with pupils, build relationships with the after-school club staff
- Develop food policy improvements in schools in our six key areas by building relationships with staff, and engaging students and parents
- Collecting data and maintaining accurate records relating to the programme
- Work closely with our Evaluation Manager to complete all monitoring and evaluation
- Gather content for our website and social media platforms
- Keep Programme Manager fully updated on progress
- Contribute to the smooth-running of SFM at this time of growth
- Maintaining the ethos of the charity and positively promoting our work at all times
- The Project Officer will also undertake any other tasks relevant to the affairs of SFM that may arise from time to time. Therefore, being flexible and approaching the job with an open and positive mindset is essential!
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.