We are looking for a committed individual to join Schoolreaders, an exciting growing child literacy charity, to deliver the key reading volunteer recruitment element of the operation. This will involve using social media, press and community groups to find targeted volunteers. You will also support and coordinate a group of county volunteers (approx. 35) to collectively work together to achieve county specific volunteer recruitment. Your skills and experience will reflect volunteer and customer service ability and strong organizational and communication skills. You will need excellent spoken and written English and telephone, social media and press experience. You need to be competent with Excel and IT generally and it would be an advantage to have experience with the Salesforce CRM system.
Schoolreaders is a charity that addresses poor reading amongst primary school children by recruiting volunteers from local communities and matching them to a primary school where they listen to children read on a one-to-one basis. Before the pandemic over 12,700 children in over 650 schools were receiving weekly reading sessions from a Schoolreaders volunteer. The core of the operation is recruiting volunteers in target areas for specific schools. The operations team then process the volunteer and school applicants, match the volunteer to the best-fit school, and then there is ongoing management of, and communication with the volunteers and schools. We are a young, growing charity that is expanding to help more children across the country. Our aim is to make a real difference to the state of literacy in the UK, particularly for those children further disadvantaged due to Covid-19 and school closures. It is estimated that one in three children are leaving primary school not able to read to the expected standard.
Main purpose and scope of the job:
To work with the operations and communication teams to co-ordinate the volunteer and school targeted recruitment for Schoolreaders. To manage the teams of county volunteers (approx. 50) who recruit in their local regions and provide support to the charity. This includes target setting and recruitment performance meetings with the county teams. This role involves press and social media communication, and occasional public speaking at events, supporting the fundraising team and some engagement with reading volunteers across the country. You will have some administrative support from the Operations and Communications Administrator.
This is an office-based role, with the option of one day working from home and occasional travel to represent Schoolreaders and support the county teams.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, identify and recruit targeted volunteers and schools.
- Plan and run recruitment campaigns including use of social media and press, liaison with community groups and collaboration with other organisations
- Support and coordinate the teams of county volunteers, resolve county team enquiries and challenges
- Arrange national annual meetings for county teams, recruitment reviews and termly updates.
- Prepare presentations and carry out occasional speaking opportunities at events to recruit volunteers.
- Recruitment, induction and training of county team members
- Liaise with the communications, operations, fundraising and other departments as required
- Arrange mailshots, mail merges, partner surveys and coordinate and update volunteer on-line sites
- Arrange occasional reading volunteer support events with county teams both virtually and in person
- Produce and present monthly county reports and updates
- Follow the operations systems and procedures and support the operations team during peak times
- Carry out any other duties which are relevant and appropriate to the job
What you can expect:
A highly rewarding, fast paced and engaging environment in a growing national children’s charity. Schoolreaders is a highly professional charity which values every team-member’s contribution to our team efforts. We offer a generous holiday allowance, enhanced sick pay, an employee assistance programme, plus training and development opportunities. If you want to join a great team in a fast-moving, welcoming environment whilst making a huge impact on children’s literacy across the country, this could be the perfect role for you!
Closing date for applications is 23.59 on Wednesday 23rd February.
Further details including the job description and application forms can be found on our website.
Applications will be reviewed, and interviews offered, on an ongoing basis. We reserve the right to close the role prior to the closing date should a suitable applicant be found, so please submit your application as soon as possible.
Schoolreaders is committed to safeguarding the welfare of children and young people and requires staff to share this commitment. This post is subject to a range of vetting checks including a basic disclosure check of unspent criminal convictions.
Schoolreaders is a Charitable Incorporated Organisation registered in England and Wales (1159157)
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.