We have an exciting opportunity for a Deputy Head of Legal to contribute to the development of the legal Services team in Gilwell Park, London. You will join us on a full-time, permanent basis, and in return, we will offer you a competitive salary of £56,000 - £60,000 per annum (including OLW) depending on experience.
The Scouts are embarking on transforming their Volunteer Journey to make volunteering with us even more attractive, accessible, flexible, and enjoyable. For our 160,000 volunteers, a crucial part of their volunteer experience is the training we offer to ensure they feel confident and are equipped to undertake their role.
We want to develop a learning culture where training is simple but effective and delivers the skills and knowledge that our volunteers need when they need it, whether they work directly with our young people delivering skills for life or carry out a supporter, manager or governance role. There is a wide range of learning needs to be met and we want to enable our volunteers to manage their own learning journey and access their training in a modern and flexible way that enables them to fit it into their lives alongside their volunteering and other commitments.
The Deputy Head of Legal Role:
You will support the Head of Legal in the delivery of the Legal Services function, with particular emphasis on the provision of high-quality legal advice to ensure the protection of TSA and its subsidiaries in all its commercial activities ensuring compliance with corporate governance, charity, company, data protection legislation and other regulatory requirements.
What will you be doing in the Deputy Head of Legal role?
- Assisting the Head of Legal to provide a high-quality legal service to support the strategic priorities of TSA, its subsidiaries and the Scout Movement
- Providing legal advice to staff on relevant legal issues and risks to protect TSA and its subsidiaries’ in all its commercial activities; ensuring compliance with relevant policy, best practice, legislation and regulation
- Assisting as required with the creation, maintenance and implementation of standard legal documents, guidance notes and policies, and with development and delivery of training to staff on legal issues
- Providing advice in relation to subject access requests and legal advice, support and training to teams to understand their responsibilities for data protection
- Assisting in the development of creative mechanisms to provide support, guidance and general legal advice to the Scout Movement whilst minimising liability to TSA
- Assisting in reviewing and drafting internal policies and governance documents
- Regulatory compliance, data subject requests and Data protection, and safeguarding
What we are looking for in our Deputy Head of Legal:
- A qualified solicitor or barrister of at least 5 year PQE
- Experience of working as an in house commercial lawyer in the charity sector
- Significant experience of providing legal advice in a complex organisation at a senior level
- Experience of drafting and negotiating complex commercial contracts, fundraising contracts, licences, funding and collaboration agreements
- Experience of advising on complex data protection implications in a variety of commercial ventures
- Proven ability to manage and mentoring others
- Experience of managing and monitoring work undertaken by external solicitors
- Experience of drafting detailed, coherent reports and policies
- Experience of safeguarding legislation(desirable)
What we can offer you as our Deputy Head of Legal:
- 25 days holiday and going up to 28 days after 2 years’ service and 32 days after 5 years’ service
- Additional holidays between Christmas & New Year
- Life Assurance
- Simply Health Scheme
- Generous Pension Scheme
- Free car parking
- Gilwell park minibus service
Closing date: 23:59 on Sunday 9th May 2021
Don’t miss out on the opportunity to join our fantastic team! Click ‘Apply’ now!
The Scouts is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to diversity and actively seeking applicants from a wide range of backgrounds.
Strictly no agencies