Vacancy: Publications Manager (Communications team)
Closing date for applications: 29 March 2020
Company overview: Scriptoria is an award-winning sustainable development consultancy. Founded in 2001, we work with government agencies, research programmes, non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiatives around the world to implement and support international development programmes. We deliver these services through our four expert teams: Consulting; Data and Technical; Communications; and Training. This role is for a position in our Communications team.
Job suitable for: Editorial or communications professional with at least two years’ project management experience.
Starting salary: £24,000–28,000 (dependent on qualifications and experience).
Minimum qualifications: 2:1 Hons degree or higher.
Location: Office-based, southwest London (SW17).
Contract type: Full-time, permanent.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for an experienced editorial or communications professional to join our growing Communications team as a Publications Manager. You need be efficient and enthusiastic, and keen to learn new skills. You need to be happy working in a small, friendly team, but also able to use your initiative and work independently with minimal supervision.
We are looking for someone who has a genuine interest in the areas in which we work and is keen to make a difference. Our work is varied and we are often very busy, so we need a Publications Manager who is able to juggle multiple tasks, meet deadlines and deliver high quality results. Excellent English-language skills, strong attention to detail and knowledge of the publishing process are essential.
About the role
Our Communications team produces a wide range of products – from legacy reports, policy briefs, and websites, to animations and infographics. We work at all stages of the publications process from concept development, writing, editing and proofreading, to design, layout and translation. Your work will require you to engage with a wide range of subject areas across sustainable development, including agriculture, climate change, gender, water resources management and poverty reduction.
You will be responsible for managing projects from start to finish. This will include being a main point of contact for clients and providing innovative suggestions for communications products. You will manage the projects assigned to you and ensure that they are delivered to an excellent standard. Experience of copyediting and proofreading is therefore essential.
Project management tasks will include producing quotations and schedules, managing budgets, carrying out product research, sourcing photos, formatting Word documents, and developing and maintaining the Communications team’s processes and systems.
Many projects involve working closely with Scriptoria’s other departments (Consulting; Data and Technical; and Training). You will gain an insight into their specialities and work collaboratively to provide a range of bespoke communications and knowledge management solutions for clients.
- Client liaison – this will include working to control clients’ expectations of the jobs/projects you are leading on. Examples of this would include ensuring that they fully understand schedules and deadlines, as well as what inputs each piece of work will require. You will be a main point of contact for some clients and will work proactively to provide quality control and to suggest new communications products that meet their needs.
- The running of projects assigned to you – this will include: (i) liaising with clients to establish their requirements; (ii) assigning editorial, writing, design and translation jobs to appropriate members of Scriptoria’s core staff and associates; (iii) working with Scriptoria’s graphic designers and web developers to create engaging content; (iv) tracking and recording the progress of work using timesheets and databases; and (v) liaising with our Head of Finance to ensure that projects are invoiced promptly and their profitability assessed.
- Quality control of publications – this will include checking documents written and edited by Scriptoria’s core staff and associates. It will also include (i) checking proofs and (ii) helping the Communications team to ensure the smooth running of design and layout work.
- Proofreading, editing and small ad hoc writing tasks – as required by the projects you are managing or at the request of the Head of Communications Services.
- Quoting for work – this will involve producing quotes for new jobs, coordinating and writing proposals, and dealing with enquiries from clients.
- Managing associate writers and editors – for large projects involving multiple associates you will be required to manage and quality assure their work. You will also support the Communications team to test and take on associates in good time to deal with increased workloads.
- Business development – supporting the Business Development Lead to identify potential new clients to meet and conferences to attend, and prepare marketing material to promote our services.
Criteria for selection
- Minimum two years’ experience in a communications or editorial role, with an excellent understanding of standard publications processes
- A confident and professional approach to dealing with clients and the ability to deliver excellent customer service
- Outstanding copyediting and proofreading skills with excellent verbal and written English
- Strong project management skills and the ability to multi-task and cope flexibly with a range of projects
- The ability to work under pressure, both independently and as part of a team
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint, SharePoint, Outlook)
- An interest in sustainable development.
- Experience of using a range of social media tools, and planning and managing social media campaigns
- Experience using Adobe design software or other graphic design packages
- Knowledge of WordPress
- Knowledge of communications for development, advocacy and engagement.
Please send your CV and a covering letter of no more than two pages to Alex James (see job spec below for details). In your cover letter please (i) explain briefly why you would like to work for Scriptoria’s Communications team and why you think you are the kind of person we are looking for; (ii) outline how you meet the criteria for the job, making clear reference to the numbered list above; and (iii) state your salary expectation and when you would be available to start work. Please include examples of your most relevant experience, using specific examples wherever possible.
Candidates shortlisted for interview will be asked to complete a short project management test in advance.
Closing date for applications: 23:59 GMT, 29 March 2020.
Interviews are due to be held at Scriptoria’s offices in London w/c 6 April 2020.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.