Who we’re looking for: We are seeking an enthusiastic and Communications Specialist to lead on business development. The ideal candidate is someone who is outgoing and likes to take on new challenges, attend events and talk to new people about the work that we do.
Location: Home (UK only) or office-based in South London. Candidates must have the right to work in the UK.
Qualifications: Candidates must be educated to degree level (2:1 or above).
Experience: We are looking for an experienced communications professional with a background in communications or international development, and business development.
Reporting to: Head of Communications Services.
Salary: £30,000, full-time (40 hours/week).
Scriptoria Sustainable Development Solutions is a growing team of communications, knowledge management and data analysis specialists with expertise in international development, research, science and health. The company comprises four service-delivery teams: Consulting, Data, Communications and Training.
Founded in 2001, we work with government agencies, donor-funded programmes, NGOs, academic institutions and private sector initiatives to help them manage their international development projects, capture information accurately and communicate results effectively to stakeholders.
We are a dynamic and welcoming team, who place great value in working collaboratively and learning from each other. We all have a passion for making a difference in the world, excelling in our service to clients, and producing content of the highest quality.
As a Communications Specialist with a business development focus, you will use around 50% of your time to develop relationships with clients and capture a pipeline of high-value projects for Scriptoria’s growing Communications Services Team. This will involve identifying new business opportunities, attending international development networking events and securing meetings with target organisations to sell our services and secure new work. All meetings are currently virtual while COVID-19 is a risk.
You will spend the other 50% of your time providing communications, project management and knowledge management services to a range of organisations, working with some of the world’s leading players in the fields of agriculture, water resources management, climate change and health.
This role will give you the opportunity to really jump into and lead new projects, meet some fascinating organisations and have input into the team’s strategic direction. It offers an incredibly diverse role with a talented team of communicators.
- Develop annual business plans for the Communications Services Team.
- Generate opportunities for new projects – reaching out to prospective clients via email, making phone calls and securing meetings (either virtual or face to face), and producing high-quality, well-targeted bids and quotes.
- Manage the development of a range of communications materials for our clients.
- Produce social media materials for clients and run social media campaigns.
- Develop communications, campaign and event strategies to help our clients to define their objectives and translate them into realistic and achievable outcomes.
- Attend relevant networking events and conferences in order to promote the Communications Services Team’s work.
- Track and report on the team’s progress against its financial targets/business plan.
Criteria for selection
- A minimum of three years’ experience working as a communications professional with a focus on business development.
- Confident networker with an externally focused and proactive attitude, as well as the energy and passion to engage people and interest them in working with Scriptoria.
- Proven experience of generating five-figure new business contracts from cold and ability to meet and exceed personal targets.
- Excellent attention to detail and a demonstrated flair for writing compelling and technically sound content for communications and marketing materials.
- Excellent English language (C2/mother tongue), communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent numeracy skills and the ability to track and analyse budgets.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe applications.
- The ability to work both as a member of a team and individually.
Please send the following to Cathy Jacob (see full job description for email address)
- CV and one-page cover letter. In your cover letter please (1) explain briefly why you would like to work for Scriptoria and why you think you are the kind of person we are looking for; and (2) outline how you meet the criteria for the role, making clear reference to the numbered list above.
- A statement of when you would be available to start work, where you saw this job advertised and your salary expectations.
Deadline: 11:59pm UK time on 30 January 2022
Please note: Please see attached full job decription. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications that do not include a CV and cover letter will not be considered.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.