Reporting to: International Operations Manager
Location: Initially remote, moving to SEED Madagascar’s London Office when restrictions permit Commitment: Part-time, two days a week for a minimum of six months
Salary: N/A (voluntary)
An exciting and unique internship opportunity to work closely with key senior operational staff in a respected UK international development charity; this position has strong vocational content for anyone looking to break into the international development sector with future possibilities of progression into roles within the UK and/or Madagascar.
The post holder will gain hands-on experience in international development, and understanding and skills across a wide range of duties associated international operations, communications, volunteer coordination, and practical charity management.
The internship spans a minimum of six months and is remote until the team returns to SEED Madagascar’s office in Queen’s Park, London. The diversity of activities that will be undertaken provides training for an early-career development professional who can effectively and efficiently deal with a comprehensive range of tasks related to the complex world of overseas development work.
- Assist the International Operations Manager in all of their day-to-day administration and HR related work
- Supporting preparation of reports for internal and external audiences including Annual Reports and Ministry reports
- Working with the International Operations Manager in developing administrative systems and management procedures across the NGO
- Working across the NGO Departments on a variety of project and administration tasks, including the design of monitoring systems and activity plans
- Construction, maintenance and management of equipment inventories and logs
- Basic IT support
- Writing minutes of a range of management meetings and assisting the NGO staff with notes when required
- Policy, procedure and project research
- Supporting social media, newsletter and website information for the organisation’s online presence
- Supporting the Volunteer Officer in the running of the charity’s volunteering programmes, which will include: researching new avenues for marketing; maintaining volunteer databases; correspondence with volunteers and partners; and creative evaluation of materials and resources given to volunteers.
- Any other tasks required by the International Operations Manager in line with the tasks of the post
Desired Knowledge, Experience, and Skills
- Hold or be studying towards an undergraduate degree in or relating to international development (or have equivalent professional/experiential background)
- Knowledge and/or keen interest in development and/or conservation issues facing least developed countries such as Madagascar; previous experience living or working in a developing country would be an asset
- Knowledge and/or keen interest in at least one of SEED Madagascar’s four core areas (community health; sustainable livelihoods; environmental conservation; and education infrastructure); previous experience of community-based work would be an asset
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to gather and assimilate information from various sources, compile documents (reports and proposals), and identify lessons learnt and best practice
- Sound ability to adapt material for different audiences
- Be able to conduct internet research
- Be able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Have good all-round computing skills and experience in Microsoft Office
- Be able to financially support themselves for the duration of their internship as there is no stipend available for travel or sustenance
- Strong written English is essential, French and/or Malagasy would be an asset
- Be able to proofread documents to a high standard
- Be willing to take on mundane tasks such as scanning and photocopying where necessary