Sense about Science is a campaigning charity that champions the public interest in sound science and evidence.
We’ve changed many debates about science and evidence over the past 18 years by involving the public and researchers in challenging misleading claims. We introduced reviews of whether government is transparent about its use of evidence in policy proposals and lead the annual Evidence Week in the UK parliament. We run the AllTrials campaign for all clinical trials to be registered and reported; and the public campaign Ask for Evidence, helping people use scientific questioning to navigate debates. Our direct approach to difficult subjects is ‘public led, expert fed’ and it is in high demand.
We have a vacancy for a campaigns and research coordinator.
The role of campaigns and research coordinator involves supporting and developing our flagship campaigns - including Ask for Evidence - and providing research support.
Specific duties include:
- Coordinating the Ask for Evidence campaign, including developing digital content and comms
- Working with our community coordinator in mobilising the Ask for Evidence ambassadors and our UK-wide community engagement programme
- Recording and reporting campaign outcomes and impacts
- Researching and scoping out future campaign aims and programmes
- Researching and writing campaign funding proposals
- Research for our other projects and campaigns, including our work on data science
- General office support
The successful candidate will be articulate, motivated and ambitious about social change. It is a busy office and no two days are the same so you need to be able to plan well but adapt quickly.
The ideal candidate will need:
- A good degree or higher in a science (including social science) subject
- Experience of campaigning and/or building and maintaining networks and strong working relationships, in particular with community groups and volunteers
- Experience coordinating and delivering projects and a well-tested ability to prioritise and to identify challenges
- Confident and personable communication style and a demonstrable ability to produce good written material which is suited to public awareness campaigns
- Excellent analytical skills
- Good judgement and negotiating skills
- A very friendly manner, along with flexibility, enthusiasm and initiative.
However, if you don’t have a CV that matches all these requirements but you are absolutely convinced you are right for the post, feel free to write to us to make the case. There is great scope in this job to develop the role and make it your own.
Salary £25,000 p/a. Central London. Will include some travel and out of hours activity.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 9am 4 March 2020
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.
Interviews will be held on 11 March and all shortlisted candidates will hear by 6 March. Please note that we will not be able to notify those candidates that have not been shortlisted.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.