We’re on the hunt for a Fundraising Officer to join us at this exciting stage in Settle’s development. We are looking for an enthusiastic person with excellent writing skills who has experience of writing bids for trusts and foundations and has worked in a fundraising team previously. Someone who wants to take the next step in their career and be part of a fast-growing, impactful organisation with big ambitions to tackle youth homelessness. As our Fundraising Officer you’ll work closely with our Chief Executive to meet our annual fundraising income target. You will lead on writing grant applications, reporting to funders, managing our fundraising pipeline and researching prospective grant-givers. You’ll report directly to our Chief Executive.
Start Date: March 2020
Salary: £24,000 - £29,000 depending on experience
Hours: Full time Contract: 12 month fixed term, subject to 3 month probation period
Location: Office is in London Fields, Hackney. You’ll work there and across Greater London
Settle is an award winning charity that supports vulnerable young people moving into their first home. Our mission is to break the cycle of youth homelessness by equipping young people with the life skills and confidence they need to thrive. Since launching in 2015 we’ve supported hundreds of young people across London.
As a result of our positive impact, we were a finalist at the Guardian Public Services Award 2019, picked as a Big Issue Top 100 Changemaker in 2019 and voted ‘Best Tenant Support Service’ at the 2016 National Housing Excellence Awards. We’ve been consolidating our work over the last few years, working with partners including Nesta, Hyde Housing and JP Morgan, and we’re now ready to take things to the next level. Over the next few years we will be rolling out our programme to hundreds of young people. We are a deeply committed team of six supported by a brilliant board of five trustees who help us achieve our social mission.
● Support on delivering our fundraising strategy
● Writing applications and reporting to trusts and foundations
● Manage our fundraising database to maximise efficiency and enable effective administration
What we’re looking for
You have outstanding writing skills
You’ll have a track record of writing high quality funding bids to trusts and foundations with a keen eye for detail and understanding of what funders want to see in an application.
You’re highly professional and organised
You can manage multiple funding deadlines efficiently and you are meticulous in your attention to detail, recognising the rigour required in reporting and collecting data. You can effectively research and manage our fundraising pipeline and prospects.
You’re passionate about helping young people thrive
You care deeply about improving the lives of marginalised young people and you are willing to work hard to achieve this mission.
You’re great with people
You have excellent communication skills - both written and verbal. You’ll be able to work with people from all walks of life.
You’re a self-starter
You’ll thrive working in a small, fast moving organisation and will be able to prioritise your time effectively.
1. Trust and Foundation Fundraising
● Write and submit funding applications for medium- to large-scale trusts and foundations (expected to be in the region of £5,000 - £150,000 but opportunities may vary)
● Work with the Chief Executive on large trust applications
● Lead on identifying new funding opportunities through research and networking
● Work with our wider team to gather content for funding applications and reports
● Work with our senior team to build budgets for funding applications
● Cultivate excellent relationships with funders and prospective funders to ensure their long-term support of Settle
● Plan and manage trust/foundation stewardship and cultivation events
● Adhere to the highest standards of donor care and fundraising compliance
2. Planning and Administration
● Manage Settle’s trusts and foundations database, keeping up-to-date records of all applications submitted, approaches in progress and grants secured
● Coordinate the trusts reporting schedule, ensuring all reporting is submitted to funders on time and in the format requested
● Maintain a comprehensive fundraising pipeline spreadsheet
● Develop and maintain administrative systems for trust income, including logging grants and ensuring all funders are thanked swiftly and appropriately
● Work with the Chief Executive to develop Settle’s fundraising strategy
● Work with the Communications Coordinator to develop communications to send to our supporters, maintaining Settle’s strong reputation of high-quality work, ethos and friendly tone
● Research and apply for awards that build Settle’s reputation and highlight our impact
● Attend donor, trust and corporate events on behalf of Settle
● Lead on coordinating occasional fundraising events such as philanthropy breakfasts, dinners and one-off larger events that facilitate income generation
● Support the organisation with any other tasks as required Skills and experience Essential Desirable
● Experience of working in a fundraising team
● Experience working for a start-up charity or social enterprise
● Excellent writing skills and a track record of writing successful bids
● Knowledge of youth and homelessness sectors
● Excellent attention to detail and creating accurate reports
What we require
As a precondition of employment we’ll need you to:
- Complete an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) certificate. We’ll help you with the application and cover its cost.
- Provide two satisfactory references. At least one of which should detail your suitability to work with young people and another to be from your most recent employer.
● Lovely open plan office in Hackney, right next London Fields and Broadway Market
● Scope to take real ownership in a fast-growing startup
● Strong commitment to professional development - with a £500 training budget
● Up to 3% pension contribution
● 25 days paid annual leave per year (excluding bank holidays)
● Cycle to work scheme
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.