Summary of Role
This is a fantastic opportunity to bring your finance skills to this vibrant and growing heritage charity. The Severn Valley Railway Charitable Trust is a separate entity to the SVR Holdings Company who operate and run this much loved attraction. The Trust’s focus is to help secure the future of the Severn Valley Railway through donations, grants and sponsorship. The position of Finance Manager will be an integral part of the team and responsible for the efficient co-ordination and maintenance of the charity's accounts, ensuring the smooth operation and financial compliance of the Trust.
You will be responsible for the day-to-day running of the finance function of the organisation and will work closely with the Trust’s Director of Development and Fundraising Co-ordinator. There is a part-time finance administrator to support with processing.
You will be solely responsible for maintaining the Trust’s financial records including: processing transactions; preparing and maintaining the Trust’s nominal accounts; monitoring bank accounts; contributing to funding applications and financial reporting.
The charity is VAT registered, so an understanding of VAT as well as Gift Aid issues, or a willingness to learn, will be essential. You will have excellent attention to detail and be able to communicate well both within the organisation and externally. You will be an integral part of the team and will need to be able to clearly explain financial requirements to colleagues without a financial background. You will ideally have experience of Xero accounting system and Access CRM packages.
- To lead the finance activity within the Trust, managing all accounting and finance activities, and ensuring ongoing financial viability.
- Assist in preparing annual budgets.
- Provide monthly financial information to the Director of Development and Trustees.
- Production of monthly management accounts and end-of-year reports.
- Prepare and monitor monthly cash flows for the Trust and projects managed by the Trust.
- Working with an external chartered accountant to ensure the timely production of statutory accounts.
- Management of bank balances and credit card facilities.
- Monitoring Charity Commission, Companies House and HMRC records and submissions.
- Prepare and submit quarterly VAT returns.
- Ensuring financial compliance of the Trust including operating within VAT limits.
- Maintain the fixed assets register, including recording acquisitions and disposals, and process annual depreciation charges.
- Monitor monthly processes including AR & AP (accounts receivable & payable) and payroll.
- Produce ad-hoc reports as required.
- Providing financial information for grant and other funding applications.
- Contributing to the financial reporting and claiming to external funding agencies.
- Create and maintain financial procedures manual.
- Any other duties commensurate with the grade and responsibilities of this post.
- You will be a qualified accountant or working to qualifications, with a mixture of financial and management accounting experience at a senior level, with significant experience in the main duties as outlined above.
- Good understanding of the charity SORP, VAT, taxation and company legislation.
Skills and abilities
- Strong organisation and time management skills. Able to plan / prioritise own work and meet agreed deadlines.
- Excellent attention to detail and methodical approach to tasks.
- Competent use of MS Outlook, Excel, Word and the Internet.
- Strong numerical / budgeting skills.
- Strong data processing skills.
Attitude and Personal Qualities
- Motivated, reliable and professional.
- Flexible, able and willing to respond to changing priorities.
- Strong team player with collaborative working style, who enjoys individual and team working.
- Willing to participate in all activities relevant to the role.
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Commitment to the principles of Equality and Diversity.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.