Shannon Trust is a national charity supporting thousands of prisoners a year to transform their lives by unlocking the power of reading. We inspire and train prisoners who can read to teach prisoners who can’t.
Area secretaries are an invaluable part of our team. They provide administrative support to our area coordinators and teams, organising and minuting area meetings three times a year. They're also an important link in how we evidence the impact of Shannon Trust reading programme, prompting and following-up data and monthly reports from our prison volunteers.
We are looking for an area secretary to support our team of volunteers working in prisons across our North West area which covers HMP's YOIs Garth, Haverigg, Hindley, Kirkham, Lancaster Farms, Preston, Styal, Wymott, Altcourse, Buckley Hall, Forest Bank, Liverpool, Manchester, Risley, Thorn Cross.
What you’ll be doing
- Arranging team meetings; booking venues, arranging refreshments, sending out and following-up invites, preparing and circulating papers.
- Taking minutes and circulating them to your team and regional manager.
- Prompt and follow-up monthly data returns and reports from prison volunteers and Shannon Trust prison teams.
- Maintaining contact details of volunteers, prison teams and other useful prison contacts in your area and communicating changes to your regional manager.
- Supporting communications between your area coordinator and area team.
- Taking part in regional meetings organised by your Regional Manager. These tend to be annually when there is no national Shannon Trust conference planned.
You may also be invited to, or opt into:
- Taking part in planning meetings with your area coordinator and regional manager.
- Taking minutes at an annual regional meeting (rotational basis).
- Keeping an overview of your team’s progress and providing your area coordinator and regional manager with a summary of key issues.
- Overseeing your team’s contribution to good news stories.
Who we’re looking for:
You don't need any formal qualifications to become an area secretary. We're looking for people who:
- Have good administrative skills.
- Are able to write clearly and concisely.
- Are confident using email, the internet and MS Word (or similar package) and have access to a computer and the internet.
- Are able to work alone, manage their own time and prioritise.
Area secretaries typically give around 14 hours a month to volunteering with us which is spread across a number of days. Much of the role can take place on any day of the week and in the evenings. You’ll need to attend a daytime area meeting 4 times a year. And you’ll also need to attend our induction workshop and come along to our yearly area secretaries meeting.
Training, induction and support
You'll attend a 1-day induction workshop which will introduce you to Shannon Trust and how we work. You'll also have a separate introductory session with your area coordinator. We bring our area secretaries together once a year; it's chance to share what's working well, talk through new developments and recap on training.
Expenses and Insurance
You'll be able to claim back all reasonable expenses and be covered by our public liability insurance. If you use your own vehicle for Shannon Trust related activity, you'll need to check that you have the correct insurance cover.