ShareAction and the global system of finance
We are at a pivotal moment: the climate and biodiversity crises are deepening, and inequalities are even more marked in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic. The global investment system has an oversized impact on many of these global challenges We want to make sure that impact is positive. At ShareAction we work with investors, policymakers and individuals to unleash the positive potential of the investment system. We aim to build a world where our financial system serves our planet and its people.
We know that decarbonising heavy industry will be a massive hurdle to jump to ensuring a 1.5C world. That’s why, this year, our climate team is building on our existing experience tackling cross-sectoral industrial decarbonisation, to focus in on the highest emitting sectors. There is a lot to do in a narrow window of time but we’re ready for the challenge.
This is an exciting opportunity for a like-minded individual to join our team at a critical moment in history. You’ll help drive our campaign work with investors to accelerate corporate decarbonisation in heavy industries. You’ll know the levers to pull to get companies to seriously address climate change risks, align with a 1.5C future and foster the transition to a fairer, cleaner, and safer world. Time is of the essence, and we are looking for someone with excellent campaigning skills and a passion to make a difference.
What you’ll do
- You will deliver corporate engagement campaign activity, including public communications and collaborative investor engagement
- You will lead engagement and ongoing dialogue with corporates
- You will share campaigning expertise with immediate and wider team
- You will contribute to the Corporate Climate team’s work including research, investor engagement and fundraising
- You will build and maintain relationships with strategically important NGOs and other allies
- You will work closely with our communications team to coordinate press and social media activity
- You will represent ShareAction externally and develop long-term relationships with a variety of stakeholders including media
- You will ensure quality record keeping (e.g., of meetings, calls, and email) through our Salesforce system
What you’ll bring to the team
- A good understanding of how climate change affects companies in a range of sectors;
- Proven ability to execute effective campaign strategies, identifying targets, considering tactics, and sequencing actions form maximum impact;
- Experience of engaging with companies to drive changes in corporate practices;
- Persuasive communication skills (verbal and written);
- Good analytical skills – the ability to quickly get to grips with new and complex subject areas, assimilate information, pull out the relevant points and communicate them to a wide variety of audiences;
- Excellent organisational, project and time management skills with the ability to work under pressure, plan and prioritise work effectively and meet deadlines
- Proven ability to adjust plans to rapidly changing circumstances;
- Great attention to detail
- A good understanding of responsible investment
- desire to seek out speaking and networking opportunities
- Experience of working with stakeholders from different backgrounds such as decision makers; NGOs, activists, lobbyists, researchers, media etc;
- A good understanding of any of the following sectors: financial services, mining, built environment, oil & gas, power generation, cement, transport
What we will do for you
- You'll have our full support of the Climate team, we hold weekly meeting and work together on projects
- You will receive training and opportunities for your professional development
- You will gain experience of representing ShareAction at a range of events
Hours: Full-time, but with some flexibility possible
Contract type: Permanent
Salary: £34,500 - £37,500 plus 8 per cent pension (non-contributory) and benefits including a healthcare scheme
Closing date: 13 June 2022 at 9am
Interviews: Week starting 27 June 2022 (likely two stages of interviews)
ShareAction values and respects all differences in people (seen and unseen) and welcome applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries. We are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities and so if you are not 100 per cent sure that you meet all the requirements but believe you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply and use the application questions to tell us about your experience and what you hope to bring to this role.
We also actively encourage staff to work in ways that best suit their needs and our flexible working policy outlines many of the options available- such as part-time and term-time working, job sharing, home working and working compressed hours. Please talk to us at the interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
ShareAction’s London office is based in vibrant Bermondsey and a short walk from London Bridge underground and national rail. Remote working will remain the norm for many ShareAction staff as we continue to face the Covid-19 pandemic, with office space available in London for those who wish to use it.
Please note that to be considered for this post you must be legally eligible to work in the UK. Due to current restrictions we are unable to hire anyone that isn’t already living in the UK.
Due to our size we are unable to sponsor visas.