We are at a pivotal moment: the climate and biodiversity crises are deepening, and inequalities are even more marked in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic. The global investment system has an oversized impact on many of these global challenges. We want to make sure that impact is positive. At ShareAction we work with investors, policymakers and individuals to unleash the positive potential of the investment system. We aim to build a world where our financial system serves our planet and its people.
As part of the finance and operations team, you’ll play a crucial role in enabling the organisation to work effectively and efficiently. Our multi-faceted team proactively provides useful tools, information and support to staff, whilst also safeguarding the charity’s assets and managing risks. We’re a team of problem solvers, using our skills and experience to enhance ShareAction’s impact.
This is a newly created role that will support ShareAction’s continued growth and build capacity and capability within the finance function. You will play a key part in ShareAction’s future growth and success, working closely with the Head of Finance, the fundraising team and budget holders around the organisation to ensure that all grant funding and project costs are in line with expectations and correctly accounted for.
As Finance Business Partner you will work with budget holders across the organisation, supporting the management of their budgets. In particular you will work closely with the fundraising team and delivery teams, ensuring that all grant finances are correctly structured and monitored.
A key part of your role initially will be building capacity and capability to enhance project level budgeting and management information, acting as a business partner to a range of non-finance stakeholders.
What you’ll do
The main responsibilities of the role will include:
- You will be working closely with our fundraising and delivery teams to create budgets for grant applications and new activities
- You will ensure that grant income, expenditure and cash flows are correctly recognised in our management accounts
- You will be identifying and managing the development of systems and processes to monitor expenditure and funding gaps on individual programmes and projects
- You will be supporting the organisational business planning, budgeting and forecasting processes, aligning with project budgets and funding
- You’ll create and maintain a register of finance deliverables from grant funding and ensure that financial reports are submitted accurately and on time
- You’ll business partner with budget holders across the organisation, becoming a trusted advisor and ensuring that they have sufficient information and training to effectively manage their own budgets
- You’ll be providing proactive financial analyses to support organisational decision making, increase/diversify income and ensure value for money from our expenditure
- You will identify and investigate variances to budgeted income and expenditure, working closely with budget holders to identify the business reasons and flag trends
What you’ll bring to the team
- You’ll have a strong knowledge of best practice financial processes and control environments;
- You’ll need to be self-motivated, with the ability to work autonomously and work with a continuous improvement mind-set;
- You’ll have excellent communications skills, both written and verbal and the ability to communicate complex information and ideas;
- You’ll need an ability to build productive working relationships with internal stakeholders at all organisation levels;
- You’ll have an exceptional organisational and time management skills with the ability to work under pressure, plan and prioritise work effectively and meet deadlines;
- You will need advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and good working knowledge of other Microsoft Office applications as well as a high degree of computer literacy;
- You’ll need experience of working with accountancy software.
- You would ideally have experience of working in or with the not for profit sector and knowledge of the charity SORP;
- You would ideally have excellent knowledge of accounting concepts through being a part qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent) with relevant experience;
- You would ideally have experience of working within the finance function of an SME;
- You would ideally have experience of financial planning and accounting for project.
What we will do for you
- We will provide you support with any training you require on the job, including using the accountancy software (currently Quickbooks)
- You will gain valuable experience of shaping systems and processes in a growing organising
- By working closely with teams across the organisation you will develop a deep understanding of the work we do and how it relates to our mission
Contract type: Permanent but with possible flexibility to 4 days per week
Who it reports to: Director of Finance and Operations
Salary: £35,000 - £40,000 per annum + 8% pension contribution and benefits including a healthcare scheme
Deadline for applications: Monday June 6th June, 9am
Interview dates: w/c June 13th and 20th - There will likely be two stages of interviews
ShareAction values and respects all differences in people (seen and unseen) and welcome applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries. We are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities and so if you are not 100 per cent sure that you meet all the requirements but believe you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply and use the application questions to tell us about your experience and what you hope to bring to this role.
We also actively encourage staff to work in ways that best suit their needs and our flexible working policy outlines many of the options available- such as part-time and term-time working, job sharing, home working and working compressed hours. Please talk to us at the interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
Please note that to be considered for this post you must be legally eligible to work in the UK. Due to current restrictions we are unable to hire anyone that isn’t already living in the UK. Due to our size we are unable to sponsor visas.