ShareAction and the global system of finance
It is said that “money makes the world go around” but the global financial system in its current form is in danger of making our world a very inhospitable place indeed for future generations.
Though it has lifted many out of poverty, today the global financial system has an oversized impact on many of the existential challenges we face. Biodiversity loss is such an example, as is climate change and the growing gap between rich and poor in terms of both income and health. Investment, lending and insuring decisions can enable destructive and exploitative industries or they can support a transition to a more sustainable way of living and use of precious resources. The latter approach is known as responsible or ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) investment.
ShareAction’s vision is of a world where the financial system serves our planet and its people. Our mission is to define the highest standards of responsible investment and to drive change until these standards are adopted worldwide. We work towards our mission by:
- advocating for change in the investment industry using our research and rankings
- campaigning with allies to strengthen investor stewardship and change corporate behaviour
- pushing for public policy reform to transform the financial system
Established in 2016, the Workforce Disclosure Initiative (WDI)’s ambition is to transform the quantity and quality of available data on the workforce practices of the world’s largest public companies. It is built around an annual survey of companies (1,000 companies received the WDI questionnaire this year). The data is analysed by WDI and shared with signatory investors. WDI facilitates engagement between investors and companies to drive disclosure and improved performance.
WDI’s ultimate purpose is to improve the lives of working people across the world.
The Investor Engagement Manager will be responsible for recruiting, engaging and retaining institutional investors as WDI signatories.
- You will recruit new institutional investors to join WDI as signatories;
- You will manage relationships with existing investor signatories to ensure programme is meeting investors’ needs and expectations;
- You support investor signatories to participate fully in the WDI’s annual work programme, including helping drive company responses to the annual survey, speaking at WDI-hosted events and webinars, promoting WDI in external media, and ensuring the content of the annual survey aligns with investor priorities;
- You will establish, maintain and expand a network of relationships with institutional investors, particularly those with a focus on workforce and related “social” issues;
- You will represent the WDI and its thought leadership in appropriate external forums, particularly those attended by responsible investors;
- You will work with the WDI team and external partners to write articles, reports, blogs and other publications which draw on or relate to WDI’s survey findings, and contribute to and participating in, WDI webinars aimed at educating and informing investors and companies on key workforce-related topics;
- You will contribute to WDI team activities including project management, monitoring and evaluation.
Please note this list is not exhaustive. The role will involve frequent collaboration and ‘pitching in’ alongside a small team, and the role may evolve as the programme evolves and expands.
We are looking for a passionate, determined individual, with the following experience and skills:
- Have a good understanding of responsible investment and corporate governance;
- Experience of relationship management, account management or business development in the context or a membership- or subscription-based organisation;
- Experience setting and delivering on targets, for example member recruitment and retention;
- Experience of managing stakeholder relationships across diverse groups, including investors, companies and charitable partners;
- Excellent communications skills, comfortable communicating and influencing at a senior level, and able to flex communication style accordingly;
- Ability to build and maintain a network of institutional investor contacts;
- A team player with strong commitment to collaborative working and ShareAction’s values of courage, independence, persistence, respect and inclusivity;
- Good working knowledge of MS Office applications, particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Subject matter expertise on salient workforce issues, such as gender diversity, health and safety, and supply chain management;
- Experience in campaigning and making change happen in a corporate environment;
- Experience of using Salesforce as a CRM.
Hours: Full-time, but with some flexibility possible
Contract type: Full time, permanent.
Salary: £33,000 - £38,000 plus 8 per cent pension (non-contributory) and benefits including a healthcare scheme
Deadline for applications: 9am, Monday 14 February 2022
ShareAction values and respects all differences in people (seen and unseen) and welcome applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries. We are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities and so if you are not 100 per cent sure that you meet all the requirements but believe you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply and use the application questions to tell us about your experience and what you hope to bring to this role.
We also actively encourage staff to work in ways that best suit their needs and our flexible working policy outlines many of the options available- such as part-time and term-time working, job sharing, home working and working compressed hours. Please talk to us at the interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
ShareAction’s London office is based in vibrant Bermondsey and a short walk from London Bridge underground and national rail. Remote working will remain the norm for many ShareAction staff as we continue to face the Covid-19 pandemic, with office space available in London for those who wish to use it.
Please note that to be considered for this post you must be legally eligible to work in the UK. Due to current restrictions we are unable to hire anyone that isn’t already living in the UK.
Due to our size we are unable to sponsor visas.