ShareAction and the global system of finance
It is said that “money makes the world go around” but the global financial system in its current form is in danger of making our world a very inhospitable place indeed for future generations.
Though it has lifted many out of poverty, today the global financial system has an oversized impact on many of the existential challenges we face. Biodiversity loss is such an example, as is climate change and the growing gap between rich and poor in terms of both income and health. Investment, lending and insuring decisions can enable destructive and exploitative industries or they can support a transition to a more sustainable way of living and use of precious resources. The latter approach is known as responsible or ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) investment.
ShareAction’s vision is of a world where the financial system serves our planet and its people. Our mission is to define the highest standards of responsible investment and to drive change until these standards are adopted worldwide. We work towards our mission by:
- advocating for change in the investment industry using our research and rankings
- campaigning with allies to strengthen investor stewardship and change corporate behaviour
- pushing for public policy reform to transform the financial system
ShareAction’s major donor programme has grown significantly over the last three years despite lacking dedicated resource, and has enormous amounts of promise thanks to a warm prospect pipeline.
We are now seeking to employ a Major Donor Manager to develop our portfolio of high value givers, providing excellent relationship management to donors and prospects, growing the number of supporters within our ‘Ambassadors’ giving circle, producing compelling cases for support, donor materials and events and supporting the Leadership Team and our trustees to make timely and appropriate asks upwards of £5,000.
Manage the delivery and growth of ShareAction’s major donor strategy by identifying, engaging and stewarding prospective high net worth supporters, and managing pipelines and cultivation cycles.
- Identify new major donors and retain existing donors who have the capacity to make annual commitments of £5,000 and above;
- Oversee and develop the existing ShareAction Ambassadors giving circle which will include recruiting new donors and cultivating existing members to maintain and increase giving and provide appropriate ambassadorial opportunities;
- Build and maintain a prospect pipeline, working with Leadership Team and ShareAction trustees to identify prospective donors from their networks;
- Develop compelling Case for Support proposals and prepare and coordinate the delivery of individually tailored solicitation plans;
- Work with our Communications Team to manage regular communications to ShareAction’s major donor pool and pipeline;
- Plan and deliver both virtual and in-person prospect and stewardship events;
- Research donors and brief Leadership Team and trustees ahead of donor meetings;
- Coach and support other ShareAction team members to make financial asks;
- Work with the Senior Fundraising Manager to input into the planning and budgeting process for the major donor income line;
- Follow internal and external fundraising guidelines and ensure best practice in all stages of the fundraising cycle;
- Work with the Senior Fundraising Manager to support the delivery of the mid-value giving programme.
- Stays up to date with developments within the major donor space.
Please note that this list isn’t exhaustive and the role might change slightly from time to time
We are looking for a passionate, determined individual, with the following experience and skills:
- Proven experience within mid-value/major donor fundraising, business development or stakeholder engagement;
- The self-starting ability to work independently as well as part of a team;
- Exceptional organisational, project and time management skills with the ability to work under pressure, plan and prioritise work effectively;
- Experience managing events, both in-person and online, to cultivate existing donors and identify new donor prospects;
- Excellent relationship building and management skills;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal and the ability to communicate complex information and ideas.;
- Experience of using a CRM system to maintain up-to-date and accurate donor records;
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience managing a Major Donor giving circle;
- Experience managing budgets;
- Experience of working with Microsoft Office 365, particularly SharePoint;
- Experience of working with CRM systems, ideally Salesforce.
Hours: Full-time (flexible)
Contract type: Permanent
Salary: £36,000- £39,000 + 8% pension (non-contributory) and benefits including a healthcare scheme
Deadline: We are considering applications on a rolling basis until the role is filled. Candidates will be notified of the outcome of their application within two weeks of submission.
ShareAction values and respects all differences in people (seen and unseen) and welcomes applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries. We are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities and so if you are not 100% sure that you meet all the requirements but believe you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply and use the application questions to tell us about your experience and what you hope to bring to this role.
We also actively encourage staff to work in ways that best suit their needs and our flexible working policy outlines many of the options available- such as part-time and term-time working, job sharing, home working and working compressed hours. Please talk to us at the interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
Please note that to be considered for this post you must be legally eligible to work in the UK. Due to current restrictions we are unable to hire anyone that isn’t already living in the UK.
Due to our size we are unable to sponsor visas.