This is a full-time post, but with some flexibility possible.
ShareAction is a charity and campaigning organisation working to unleash the power of the financial system to drive social progress and protect our environment. We focus on transforming the investment system, using it as a lever to generate positive social and environmental impact in the real world.
We do this by:
- Educating and working with investors to improve their practices;
- Influencing the policy-makers and industry regulators that can ensure the investment system serves society’s interests in the long-term;
- Campaigning to unlock the power of investors, as shareholders in companies, to change corporate behaviour (on issues such as climate change, good work and human rights, sustainable food and public health);
- Mobilising ordinary people, who have a stake in the investment system through their pensions and savings, to demand a change in how their money is invested;
- Collaborating with other civil society organisations who share our vision.
We’re recruiting a Media Communications Manager to work within our small but highly effective communications team. Using your expertise and contacts, you will raise and consolidate ShareAction’s profile and maintain its position as an authoritative thought leader in the responsible finance space.
You will relish working across press and broadcast media and with ShareAction’s Digital Communications Manager to maximise awareness of ShareAction’s industry and consumer-facing activity and campaigns. You will liaise with our Digital Communications Manager to contribute to the strategic development of ShareAction’s communications and develop and execute an engaging and impactful annual tactical communications plan.
The Media Communications Manager role is an exciting and varied position which offers the opportunity to influence the narrative around the financial sector’s role in climate change, human rights, and public health issues.
Although your role will be varied and open to some change in the activities you will undertake, below are the types of activities that you can expect to be doing:
- To work with the Director of Development and Communications and the Digital Communications Manager to devise and implement an organisation wide integrated communications strategy, including goals, budget and tactics;
- As part of the wider communications strategy, take the lead on developing and executing the media strategy, to include press and broadcast targets, including goals, budget and tactics;
- Take responsibility for the planning and pitching of media throughout the year, supporting the launch of ranking reports, research and other high-profile campaigns activity as appropriate and working with colleagues to lever these across ShareAction’s social media;
- Lead on the production of all media related output, including press releases, op-eds and Q&As and ensure that, where appropriate, these are uploaded onto the website/social channels;
- Monitor, record and analyse media activity on a monthly basis and contribute to a narrative report for the board on a quarterly basis;
- Keep abreast of the related national, EU and international news cycle and cultivate and nurture beneficial and productive relationships with current and new journalists across “trade” and related consumer media;
- To develop appropriate messaging for ShareAction’s key audiences – finance industry, policy makers and the general public – and ensure that our position on critical/emerging topics remains current;
- Respond with agility to reactive media opportunities and to requests from journalists, leveraging breaking news;
- To assist and advise the CEO, leadership team and other members of the team as appropriate about media issues and prepare briefing documents on high-profile and/or sensitive topics and issues;
- Training, briefing and preparing colleagues for broadcast media appearances/calls/interviews and acting as a spokesperson where appropriate;
- To regularly monitor, identify and manage any potential risks to ShareAction’s reputation, sharing and escalating these as appropriate.
Please note that this list isn’t exhaustive and the role might change slightly from time to time
We are looking for a passionate, determined individual, with the following experience and skills:
- Ability to think in a ‘big picture’ way about the communications needs of an ambitious and multifaceted charity;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with demonstrable experience of producing high-quality copy and pitching to top tier media;
- Strong journalistic skills, including an understanding of what makes a good news story; proofreading and editing skills, with excellent attention to detail;
- Experience of developing and nurturing relationships with journalists and other media professionals, preferably within a related area;
- Ability to present complex issues in an accessible and engaging way to different audiences across different formats;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and execute tasks independently, managing deadlines and working well under pressure;
- Experience working in a campaigning organisation and developing campaign strategies;
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work in different teams and quickly understand complex areas of work within the organisation;
- Sound judgement and discretion in handling issues, especially those that might be sensitive, including the ability to identify and manage potential communications risks;
- Can-do attitude; willingness to work occasional evenings (with time off in lieu) and to be a first point of contact for media enquiries on personal phone number;
- Commitment to ShareAction’s aims and values;
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, particularly Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
- Experience with social media;
- Knowledge of responsible investment and ESG issues;
- Experience updating wepbages using CMS like WordPress;
- Professional training or qualification in journalism or media relations;
- Experience of working with Microsoft Office 365, particularly SharePoint;
- Experience of working with CRM systems, ideally Salesforce.
ShareAction values and respects all differences in people (seen and unseen). One of the ways we do this is by actively encouraging staff to work in ways that best suit their needs and our flexible working policy outlines many of the options available - such as part-time and term-time working, job sharing, home working and working compressed hours. Please talk to us at the interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
Due to Covid-19 all interviews will take place online, you will also be expected to work from home for the foreseeable future
We welcome applications from all sections of the community. Note that all personal information will be removed from applications prior to shortlisting which can delay the process in responding to applications.
Please note that to be considered for this post you must be legally eligible to work in the UK. Due to current restrictions we are unable to hire anyone that isn’t already living in the UK.