Hours: Full time, but with some flexibility possible
Contract type: 6-month fixed term contract
ShareAction is a charity and campaigning organisation working to unleash the power of the financial system to drive social progress and protect our environment. We focus on transforming the investment system, using it as a lever to generate positive social and environmental impact in the real world.
We do this by:
- Educating and working with investors to improve their practices;
- Influencing the policy-makers and industry regulators that can ensure the investment system serves society’s interests in the long term;
- Campaigning to unlock the power of investors, as shareholders in companies, to change corporate behaviour (on issues such as climate change, good work and human rights, sustainable food and public health);
- Mobilising ordinary people, who have a stake in the investment system through their pensions and savings, to demand a change in how their money is invested;
- Collaborating with other civil society organisations who share our vision.
Policy advocacy is an important part of the work we do to make the financial sector more sustainable. We want the rules and regulations that govern the financial sector to build an economy that is good for people and planet.
We are looking to appoint a junior member into our policy advocacy team (comprised of 5 members) to support our work talking to policymakers like MPs, regulators, and government departments. You will also support with our EU focused work.
There is a lot going on in this area of work – from green finance policy to discussions about how to re-build the economy in light of the covid-19 pandemic. The role will be a fantastic opportunity for someone wanting to try out a career in policy advocacy, policy-making, and/or sustainable finance. We expect that the successful candidate will have a role in helping with delivery of our plans around the climate conference, COP26.
You will have the opportunity to help with outreach to policymakers, writing briefings, responding to consultations, and organising events. To be a successful candidate, you will need to be enthusiastic about public policy, interested in sustainability issues (whether environmental or social/labour focused), and willing to get stuck in with any task, however small.
Although the role will be varied and open to some change in the activities you will undertake, below are the types of activities that you can expect to do:
- Monitor policy developments and feed back to colleagues;
- Support the preparation of policy briefings and consultations;
- Support wider ShareAction teams with policy-related input as needed;
- With guidance from your manager you will research topics of interest to support our policy work;
- Support the team to engage with policymakers, civil society, and the investment industry in order to disseminate and present our positions;
- Help to organise events and meetings focused on policy; and
- Attend events and conferences as needed and to feedback to the policy team.
Please note that this list is not exhaustive and you may be required to perform different tasks from time to time.
We are looking for a passionate, determined individual, with the following experience and skills:
- Excellent communication skills, in both written and spoken English;
- Proven capacity to undertake varied tasks simultaneously and to tight deadlines;
- An understanding and interest in ShareAction’s mission and work;
- Organised and self-directed on work initiatives with a strong attention to detail;
- An understanding of the UK policy-making process/how laws are made;
- Strong commitment to collaborative working and ShareAction’s values of accountability and transparency; and
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, particularly Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
- Knowledge of financial markets and/or sustainable finance;
- Familiarity with the policy debates around environmental and/or human rights issues;
- An understanding of EU policy/law-making.
- Experience of policy-making or law-making gained through work experience;
- Experience of working with Microsoft Office 365, particularly SharePoint;
- Experience of working with CRM systems, ideally Salesforce.
ShareAction values and respects all differences in people (see and unseen). One of the ways we do this is by actively encouraging staff to work in ways that best suit their needs and our flexible working policy outlines many of the options available - such as part-time and term-time working, job sharing, home working and working compressed hours. Please talk to us at the interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
ShareAction’s London office is currently based in vibrant Bermondsey and within 5 minutes walk of London Bridge underground and national rail.
Due to Covid-19 all interviews will take place online.
How to apply
To apply, please visit our website vacancies page via the Apply button.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community. Note that all personal information will be removed from applications prior to shortlisting.
Please note that to be considered for this post you must be legally eligible to work in the UK. Due to current restrictions we are unable to hire anyone that isn’t already living in the UK.