Main role and responsibilities
A clear focus on Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) was embedded in ShelterBox’s 2020 strategy, reflecting our commitment to the change we need to make to be a truly diverse and inclusive organisation.
Like many organisations, ShelterBox has taken a long hard look in the mirror over 2020, to examine our culture, practices, and policies in light of the long overdue public discussion about racism in the UK and worldwide. Now is the time we need to intentionally drive the diversity and inclusion agenda, for and with our staff, trustees, supporters, and wider affiliate network.
The Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Specialist will lead ShelterBox’s strategy to ensure we provide a workplace and culture where all employees and volunteers feel safe, respected, included, and able to be their true selves at work. We want people to feel empowered, to have the knowledge and confidence to take responsibility for making change happen. We want to work to understand and improve the experience of colleagues from diverse backgrounds. We want to shift our culture, and to challenge behaviours which are counter to our values.
This role will be working within the HR/People team, with a dotted line to the CEO. You will partner with the leadership team at ShelterBox to develop an organisational and strategic approach to EDI, which provides conditions for change and development, as well as tools and resources that promote and support a fully inclusive culture.
We need you to help facilitate the integration of diversity and inclusion at the heart of all that we do, and to guide how we do it, so that it is both meaningful and sustainable. You will help provide the vision, leadership, and direction to make ShelterBox more accessible, open and inclusive to all communities.
In collaboration with colleagues you will project manage an EDI Audit implementation plan, reviewing policies, processes and supporting systemic shifts to support our values and promote EDI, including how we develop inclusive thinking, practice and behaviours at all levels.
Who are we looking for?
You will be bold, considerate, and engaging, able to fight for positive change and able to get things done.
You must have experience of designing, developing, and embedding key strategies in other organisations and have a record of driving measurable results.
You will help to create clear aspirations for the organisation, and in addition to an in-depth understanding of the EDI landscape, you will have sound knowledge of equality and discrimination in law. You will have experience of delivering, leading, and embedding inclusive change initiatives, with an understanding of the dynamics of change and the effects on people.
As well as knowledge and experience of working in this space within different organisations, you will be a good project manager and a strong communicator. You will be effective at building networks and have advanced facilitation, training, and consultation skills.
You will be interested in the psychology of change, and in organisational development practice.
You will be comfortable driving change and bringing people on the journey, an avid listener and the sort of person who is open to ideas and enjoys working through proposals. You will have a growth mind-set, a vision for your own development path and the personal resilience required for a role in this space.
Duties will include but not be limited to:
To develop, along with ShelterBox’s leadership team and the EDI working group, a strategy for Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion, which aligns with our overall organisation strategic goals, by:
- Mapping the organisational environment through a variety of means: this might include quantitative and qualitative research, listening groups, external benchmarking, etc.
- Assessing ShelterBox’s culture and organisational behaviours, through the lens of diversity and inclusion
- Aligning, and where achievable, integrating EDI initiatives with those of external partners, donors, networks and more, to create wider systemic change.
- Developing, testing and launching a strategic plan to make change happen, with realistic goals and content aligned to overall ShelterBox strategy. This is a new role in the organisation, and the specific activities of this role will be developed in collaboration with the postholder. Some examples of potential areas led by this post might include:
- Coaching, advising, and challenging senior leaders and allies within the organisation to embed the EDI audit suggested actions and inclusive behaviours within their departments.
- Managing and collecting data, assessing policy/process and managing compliance.
- The establishment, implementation and development of inclusion networks and groups, with the intention of these becoming self-sustaining and a well-established part of the organisation’s operational delivery and culture.
- To create and develop relevant high-quality professional development, training activities and programmes, based on best practice and accessible for all levels in the organisation.
- To utilise external professionals in the D&I space to bring in diverse voices and types of expertise to support development, delivery and decision making.
- Occasional ad-hoc duties to support the wider People Team, such as supporting training requirements and taking part in interview panels.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.