Main role and responsibilities
ShelterBox is searching for a senior humanitarian leader with significant programme and people management experience to support our Programmes & Projects (Operations) team. Reporting to the Chief Executive, this is a fixed-term role, supporting the team through a period of change, and implementing initial recommendations from a recent strategic review process. This will include the move to a more programmatic approach and structural changes to the senior leadership team.
The successful candidate will also continue to manage urgent priority activities and oversee all international programmes/projects, ensuring we deliver high quality, impactful outcomes for the people we support.
The interim position will also input objectively into the future leadership plans for the Programmes & Projects team, in terms of skills, background, and experience required to develop and shape the charity's goals and objectives both in the medium and longer term.
As Interim International Programmes Director, you will lead and oversee the work of the International Programmes Department, providing direct line management to staff in the UK, developing workplan priorities and overseeing management of response team volunteers and overseas staff.
The Interim International Programmes Director will also be a member of the Executive Team. This is ShelterBox’s most senior management team, with overall responsibility for leading, planning and managing the work and development of ShelterBox. They will be accountable for the delivery of 2021/2022 plans, as well as the implementation and development of longer-term strategy, and for ensuring that the wider organisational strategy delivers for both displaced people and supporters.
This role will also report to the Board of Trustees on a regular basis on Programme delivery performance. The Interim International Programmes Director role will also work closely with our Fundraising and Finance Departments and larger fundraising affiliates (particularly ShelterBox USA) to ensure an aligned approach to programme fundable opportunities.
The role will encompass high-level relationship building and advocacy with partner organisations to consolidate the reputation and position of ShelterBox within the humanitarian sector.
Duties will include but not be limited to:
- Responsibility for a broad portfolio of reactive and protracted programmes/projects in line with the organisational strategy. Ensuring quality, impactful, and on-budget programme/project implementation.
- Ensuring ShelterBox has the appropriate infrastructure to respond in a timely, effective way to humanitarian emergencies.
- Strategic change management. Prioritising the retention of key personnel and supporting direct reports and the wider team throughout the change process.
- Overseeing effective decision-making with respect to ShelterBox’s deployments, including how/where ShelterBox will deploy, safety & security assessments, and legal/best practice compliance.
- Actively encouraging and supporting ShelterBox’s fundraising and communications activities. Providing support to and actively engaging in the creation and support of fundable and fundraising opportunities. Prioritising quality communications with ShelterBox’s donors and partners to highlight programme impact.
- Ensuring ShelterBox plans and manages its purchasing, storage and use of emergency shelter equipment to meet pre-positioning, regular, sudden onset, or major disaster needs.
- Responsibility for identifying and developing key partnerships that will enhance ShelterBox’s programme effectiveness. Strategically positioning ShelterBox by fostering innovation, and in identifying new opportunities and partnerships.
- Account for the best use of financial resources within the Programmes & Projects team, ensuring all budget and procurement processes are effective and efficiently implemented. Liaising with the Finance Director to conduct regular reviews of programme cost rates, exceptional item expenditure, and forecasting/budgeting processes.
- Prioritising ‘do no harm’ principles. Ensuring those who encounter ShelterBox as a result of our activities are safeguarded from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings which place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm.
- Maintain high standards in all aspects of ShelterBox’s activities so that the reputation of the organisation is protected in the view of donors, partners & the people we support.
- Leading a culture which actively promotes improvements in its practices, processes, and outcomes, across all aspects of its work, seeking feedback from all stakeholders.
- Provide timely updates to CEO/Board of Trustees on all aspects of ShelterBox’s programme/project delivery and impact.
As well as these specific responsibilities, as Director you will:
- Contribute to the formulation of ShelterBox’s strategic plans.
- Work with your team to turn strategic objectives into operational plans and manage their delivery.
- Foster collaborative working with other managers and teams.
- Coaching and mentoring your team. Supporting their continued professional development.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.