Who are we looking for?
The successful candidate must be passionate about Safeguarding and in promoting an organisational culture where safeguarding and protection is prioritised; where allegations are taken seriously, and the people we support, our staff and our partners feel safe and feel able to report any or potential safeguarding issues.
You will have previous experience of working within a Safeguarding/Protection focused role, preferably within the Humanitarian sector.
As well as knowledge and experience of working in this space, you will also be a good project manager and a strong communicator. You will be effective at building networks and have advanced facilitation, training, and consultation skills.
You must have experience of designing, developing, and embedding key strategies in other organisations and have a record of driving measurable results.
You will be comfortable driving change. You must be able to engage key stakeholders, as well as to observe and incorporate feedback to continue bringing people on this journey.
Main role and responsibilities
The Safeguarding Specialist will support the implementation and roll-out of ShelterBox’s new Safeguarding and Protection policies, strengthening capacity, developing protocols, procedures and strengthening our approach.
The role will also lead on, and project manage the implementation of any learnings from our responses as well as any and recommendations provided by our external safeguarding auditor.
This role will ensure safeguarding is built into this way of working. Providing ongoing advice, support and information to senior managers, key staff on best practice, and current developments in safeguarding policy.
You will establish communities of practice, discussions and learning events to support learnings and work with our Operations team to ensure we have a survivor focused approach to safeguarding in our programmes and projects.
You will lead on creating a culture where safeguarding is embedded into our programmes and projects. Challenging our Operations team and working closely with them to ensure this is carried through to our partners.
Together with the Head of Security and Risk you will develop a safeguarding risk framework to risk and mitigating strategies for each response.
You will hold strong relationships with the country teams, challenging teams to shift culture and working closely with partners and child safeguarding focal points to improve capacity in all areas relating to safety and safeguarding.
This role will be working within the HR/People team, with a dotted line to the Director of Operations. You will partner with the leadership team at ShelterBox to develop the organisational and strategic approach to Safeguarding.
Duties will include but not be limited to:
- Continuing the implementation of the recommendations from the external Safeguarding Review (January 2019) and Progress Assessment (April 2020). This includes supporting the roll out of an independent whistleblowing service.
- Supporting Safeguarding investigations, ensuring that safeguarding reports are managed appropriately and according to due process (including internal/external reporting).
- Work with colleagues to strengthen the implementation of the Safeguarding and Protection Policies and Procedures. Ensuring that our safeguarding policies / procedures follow best practice.
- Develop safeguarding protocols, procedures, and risk mitigation strategies in line with our policies ensuring they are legally compliant, in all the locations in which we will be applying them.
- Supporting the Operations Team with the review of partner policies and safeguarding capacity (this is related to the Organisational Capacity Assessments).
- Work with Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Team to support continual improvement in techniques to obtain Safeguarding Complaints and Feedback Mechanisms at Community Level.
- Work collaboratively to ensure compliance with best practice and lead on the development of a safeguarding culture and practices. This includes training/capacity development and knowledge sharing with staff/volunteers/affiliates/trustees/partners.
- Maintain a system to document risks and concerns raised, ensuring that appropriate follow-up is conducted and that learning from implementing these processes is fed back into the organisation’s practice, policies, and risk management, including direct and regular reporting.
- Developing clear protocols for embedding safeguarding / protection in all aspects of partnerships.
- Work with EDI Specialist & Working Group to ensure respective work areas are cohesive and complementary, avoiding duplication of work and process.
Any other duties as required which are deemed appropriate to the level and grade of the post.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.