This role is focused on driving reach and engagement on social media. We want to foster two-way conversations and provide timely content to take ShelterBox to new audiences and engage more deeply with our existing audiences.
The successful candidate will join a friendly and ambitious team and play a key role in helping to make ShelterBox a global name. The role will seek to build awareness of ShelterBox, increase social engagement and build communities across our social channels.
This role is full of variety, working with other teams within the organisation to deliver a range of strategic projects that drive brand awareness and help to increase online giving.
Who are we looking for?
ShelterBox is looking for a self-motivated individual with an in-depth understanding of all things social. You will be plugged into the social media world and be able to help us spot trends and quickly adapt our social media work to engage audiences in the most effective way – helping to keep us relevant and interesting.
Excellent writing skills are essential. You should have a good command of language and be able to adopt different tones and styles of writing when supporting projects from both our operational work around the world and fundraising campaigns – from commenting on the latest developments in the Syrian war to celebrating children who have raised £100 in their local community. You will be able to clearly convey ideas in a compelling and concise manner and bring passion and excitement when it is needed. Attention to detail is crucial.
We are looking for someone who has an active interest in global news, international politics, and international development. You will also have a genuine love for incredible charity supporters and for fundraising generally. And you will be able to develop a two-way relationship with our supporters on social media.
This is an exciting and demanding role – you will need to be able to juggle competing priorities and manage stakeholders effectively.
You should have a good eye for design and the ability to source and edit images. A solid understanding of SEO and content marketing is desirable. Social advertising experience would also be an advantage, although not required.
Duties will include but not be limited to:
Management of social media accounts
- Day to day management of ShelterBox’s social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube
- Supporting the Digital Marketing and Innovation Manager, to review and refresh the social media strategy and set goals to increase brand awareness and increase engagement
- Manage the social schedule – seek out content, plan, edit and publish engaging content daily across all relevant channels supporting fundraising campaigns for international teams and providing compelling updates on our operational work
- Respond to social media posts and develop discussions with our supporters – working with the wider Comms & PR team and the Supporter Care team where needed
- Create engaging multimedia content and/or work with the wider teams to achieve this
- Adapt content for specific channels, concentrating on getting the right tone of voice for the relevant audience and exporting videos and images in the right format for each channel
- Build awareness and engagement on social during times of natural disaster and during periods of heightened public interest around conflicts or other events
- Leverage trends and new social opportunities to help drive social reach and engagement
- Spot relevant news stories, flag issues, and share developments with the rest of the team
Planning & reporting
- Manage competing priorities for social channels - getting the right balance of fundraising messages, telling the stories of people we support, celebrating our supporters and sharing real time updates about our work
- Create editorial calendars and campaign plans that meet specific objectives
- Gather input from and share plans with international teams in a timely manner so we can be coordinated globally, as well as thinking globally about content and posts.
- Regular reporting, measuring the effectiveness of campaigns and using data to make evidence-based recommendations for social media output
- Provide written and/or verbal social content briefs to the Brand & Content team for teams in the field
- Take an active role in creative brainstorms and help develop innovative ideas and campaigns to make ShelterBox stand out in a busy marketplace
- Research and monitor activity of other charities within the sector
Share knowledge and best practice
- Support wider teams with the development of social content, helping to create, source, collect and repurpose content so that it is optimised for social channels
- Work with the ShelterBox Book Club team to help develop the Book Club social channels, helping to grow Book Club's followers and increase engagement levels
- Educate other staff members and volunteers on the use of social media and promote its use within the charity
- Assisting with wider digital marketing and communications delivery where required, to support the charity’s strategic objectives
- Any other duties as deemed necessary to support the Digital team
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.