Please enter your email address to proceed with the application.
We recognised your email address. Sign in to prefill your application.
Step 1 out of 4
Your CV has been uploaded successfully.
Step 1 out of 4
It's time to upload your CV:
Step 2 out of 4
Add a cover letter to maximise your chances of getting this job.
Step 4 out of 4
Whoop! Your application is ready to be submitted.
Step 3 out of 4
Almost done! Please enter your details.
Want to tailor your application?
Go through the usual application process to upload a new CV and cover letter.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a very special charity at a critical time in its organisational history. As part of a small, energetic team, you will work directly alongside the CEO, and help SHINE to develop and implement an ambitious communications strategy for the future.
The role would particularly suit someone who is a natural people person, who is outgoing, confident and thrives on challenge. You will be able to write about SHINE’s mission in ways that are compelling and inspire people to take action. You may be a communications professional who is interested in a career in education or the charitable sector, or you may have experience in the sector and are looking to take your communications skills to the next level. Whatever your background, you will be an ambitious, self-motivated person with a strong commitment to the values and mission of our charity.
To develop and implement SHINE’s communications strategy for the future, to raise the profile of the charity and build new networks.
To assist with SHINE's mission of tackling educational inequality.
To contribute to SHINE's aspiration to be a model of excellence in its grant-making and relationships with grantees and donors
The Communications Manager will play a key role in articulating SHINE's key messages for the new strategy, build on its engagement of local stakeholders and partners, and help to ensure that SHINE’s external communications deliver maximum impact within the context of a small central team.
Required experience, skills and attributes:
- Significant communications experience, including writing high quality website content and copy for print media.
- Line managing staff, including performance management.
- Strong IT skills, including experience with updating website, ideally using Wordpress.
- Experience of developing communications strategy, ideally within the context of a small organisation.
- Experience of running social media channels, especially Twitter.
- Ability to build strong working relationships.
- Strong understanding of writing for different purposes and audiences.
- Very high standard of written English.
- Ability to use initiative and manage own workload.
- Commitment to SHINE's mission of addressing educational inequality.
Desirable experience, skills and attributes:
- Experience of working with external designers on presentation of written content.
- Experience of evaluating communications campaigns using a CRM system.
- Experience of personally securing local, regional and national news coverage, especially for an organisation or cause that currently attracts limited profile.
For the right candidate, we would consider flexible, part-time and/or home working, with a core requirement of at least 3 days to be in the office.
How to apply
Please email a full CV plus a covering letter (of no more than 2 sides of A4), clearly evidencing your skills and experience against the job description and person specification, by midnight on Friday 12th July.
Please note, applications which are submitted without a comprehensive cover letter will not be considered.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by Thursday 18th July with interviews being held on Thursday 25th July.
Please visit the SHINE website for further information about our work.