Job Title: Support and Development Worker (South West inc Devon and Cornwall)
Department: England Support Service Team
Reports to: England Support Service Manager
Salary: £25,930 (dependent on experience)
Hours: Full time (35 hours over 5 days – usually Monday to Friday)
Location: Home based (commutable across South West including Devon and Cornwall)
Fixed term post until end March 2023.
Purpose of Job
To deliver a high quality service to and facilitate opportunities for individuals with spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus and their families/carers through Shine membership. To empower and enable members affected by the conditions to lead healthy and happy lives through greater independence, better condition management and by creating links to the Shine community across England.
- To provide information to individuals, families and carers affected by Spina Bifida and/or Hydrocephalus including hard to reach communities living within the area.
- To provide advice, support and guidance to enable people with Spina Bifida and/or Hydrocephalus to access the correct benefits to become financially stable, the right services to improve their health and well-being, and to better co-ordinate their care and independence through a variety of methods. This will include attending specialist clinics in the area to engage with them.
- To refer individual members and/or their families/carers to the most appropriate source of expertise and support in Shine’s Health team and other designated leads within the organisation, or signpost to external agencies as appropriate.
- To develop age-specific groups and peer support networks which will provide opportunities for people with Spina Bifida and/or Hydrocephalus to connect and interact, enabling social opportunities and to share experiences, support and learn from each other.
- To work with and develop opportunities for Shine volunteers.
- To contribute to the delivery of regional and national programme of events to Shine’s membership, based on identified need and interests, geographical location and age. (Due to Covid 19 restrictions, for the foreseeable future, these are taking the form of online social groups, zooms and facebook live information & advice sessions)
- To provide information to professionals working with those individuals and families affected by Spina Bifida and/or Hydrocephalus.
- To raise greater awareness of Spina Bifida and/or Hydrocephalus amongst professionals, external organisations and the general public through presentations, training and attendance at professional events.
- To actively promote membership of Shine to people with the relevant conditions.
- To keep clear and accurate records for monitoring and evaluation using our Charity Log System.
- To work with service, fundraising, marketing, trust and grants colleagues and Shine’s membership to identify and seize potential fundraising opportunities for long-term sustainability of the work.
- To prepare and keep up to date a directory of relevant contacts across the area and to share relevant information with colleagues.
- To undertake administrative duties as required of the role.
- Any other duties in line with the job role.
- Ability to travel across the designated areas
- Flexible working hours, this may include some weekends
- Ability to work from home
- The ability to be motivated and work on your own initiative with lone working from home, whilst also travelling across the area and Region to be part of the wider dispersed team.
- Full Enhanced DBS checks will be completed
Experience and qualifications – essential
- At least two years’ recent experience of delivering support and advice services
- Experience of working with people of all ages with disabilities
- At least two years’ experience of advising on one or more of the following
- Health and wellbeing; independence; benefits; education and learning; employment; developing friendships and social skills; reducing isolation
- Experience of developing and delivering opportunities to enable and empower people with disabilities to achieve their goals towards independence.
Experience and Qualifications – desirable
- Hold a qualification in a health, nursing, social care or disability related field
- Experience of working in the third sector in a paid or unpaid capacity
Knowledge, skills and abilities – essential
- Understanding of spina bifida and hydrocephalus and of the issues and challenges faced by people living with these conditions
- Ability to work with people individually and to facilitate and run group activities and events
- Excellent communication skills both verbally and written
- IT literate with a good knowledge of computer systems and programmes (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and use of databases
- A non-judgemental approach to working with people
Knowledge, skills and abilities – desirable
- Understanding of the role peer support plays in enhancing services and support to members
- An awareness and understanding of how to use social media and its effectiveness in reducing social isolation
To apply please submit your CV and supporting statement, which should outline your interest and explain how you meet the role criteria.
Shine is a Disability Confident employer and will offer guaranteed interviews if a disabled applicant meets the minimum criteria for the job.
Closing date: 31/01/2021
Interview date: 05/02/2021
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.