The Swapshop Coordinator is responsible for the day to day retail management and development of the Swapshop in our vibrant Zero Waste Hub from Friday to Sunday. In collaboration with the full-time Swapshop Coordinator, this role oversees the running of the shop and supports the Swapshop volunteers to ensure the Swapshop is a thriving enterprise working towards SHRUB’s zero waste ethos and charitable objectives. This is primarily a retail-focused role whilst coordinating volunteers on a daily basis.
SHRUB is a non-hierarchical member-led Cooperative with a large and enthusiastic community of volunteers who are essential to the delivery of our aims. As a part of the SHRUB team, your day to day work will also involve the necessary decision-making, problem-solving and volunteer management which enables SHRUB as a whole to thrive. This position is funded through the Scottish Government’s Climate Challenge Fund.
Successful applicants must have experience and skills in the following areas:
- Educated to HNC / HND, plus relevant work experience
- Experience in a shop at a supervisory level
- Experience in stock management and stock rotation
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deliver to agreed deadlines and budgets
- Experience in managing and empowering teams of volunteers
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills for a fast-paced working environment
- Able to build strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Able to work on own initiative and organise own time / workload
- Full proficiency with Google Accounts
- High level of empathy and respect for people with different backgrounds and ability to use inclusive, non-stigmatising and respectful ways of communication
- Passion for sustainability and the Zero Waste / circular economy
- A willingness to learn in a small and vibrant team
About SHRUB Coop
We’re a cooperative in Edinburgh working for a world without waste! We empower our community to live a low waste and low carbon life. Become a member and learn to fix a bike, swap your preloved things, enjoy some rescued food and be inspired by new ideas.
How we work
SHRUB Coop is organised non-hierarchically and strives to provide an inclusive and empowering experience for all staff, volunteers, and members in our community. We have a staff team who coordinate around 250 volunteers across the organisation to deliver all our activities through working groups.
To apply please check the full job advert on our website and email your application to us by midnight on 15th March 2020. Your application should take the form of a single word document containing:
- a covering letter (maximum two pages)
- a CV (maximum two pages)
Please do not include your date of birth or photo in any of the documents.
The panel will shortlist on the basis of essential criteria with secondary weight given to desirable criteria.
Please give as the document filename: SURNAME - Swapshop Coordinator part-time with the same as subject line of the email to help us keep track of applicants.
For further details see the Job Description on the website.
Interviews will be held on the 25th March in Edinburgh. We will be looking for the successful applicant to start on or as soon as possible after 1st April 2020.
Salary: £25,000pa pro rata (£15,000) + Pension Contribution, part-time 21 hours / week (Friday-Sunday 11-6pm)
Fixed Term Contract to 31st March 2022 - extension subject to successful funding bids
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.