Disability Programme Officer – Zambia
- International, Zambia, Chinsali – Muchinga province
Sightsavers is seeking to recruit a skilled Programme Officer/specialist with extensive experience in Disability Inclusion and Education, to support a European Union funded inclusive education project in Chinsali, Muchinga Province.
Contract: 2 year Fixed Term Contract (with the aim of renewing)
Salary: Local terms and conditions apply
Sightsavers is seeking to recruit a skilled Programme Officer/specialist with extensive experience in Disability Inclusion and Education, to support a European Union funded inclusive education project in Chinsali, Muchinga Province. The project will ensure that children with disabilities have increased access to a continuum of quality, inclusive education. The Disability Programme Officer will work to enhance the quality of the Tusambilile Chapamo project, by working closely with partners and the programme delivery team.
As Disability Programme Officer you will be responsible for providing technical assistance and for ensuring that activities are planned, implemented, monitored and evaluated to the highest possible technical standards through close collaboration with colleagues, partners and others to identify areas for programme growth and development.
About the Disability Programme Officer role
You will have overall responsibility for facilitating the design, facilitation and monitoring of activities from ECDE through to tertiary level, working with trainers, caregivers, outreach workers, parents of children with disabilities, children with disabilities, community members and other disability personnel. You will work closely with representatives from the Ministry of Education. The Disability Programme Officer will be supported by a Programme Manager.
You will build partner relationships and support partners and stakeholders through all aspects of the project cycle, disseminating information and advocating for the programme’s goals as well as assist with financial and resource management.
You will be experienced in all aspects of the programme and project cycle, including planning, implementation, partner support and monitoring and evaluation. You will have excellent knowledge of Inclusive Education and of the Zambia Education system.
Knowledge, skills and experience for Disability Programme Officer
- Bachelor’s degree or above, or relevant experience, in Education or related field. E.g. International Development, Inclusion, Disability Studies, Social Work
- Demonstrable experience in inclusive education and disability issues including dealing with children with disabilities, skills training/development and partner engagement.
- First-hand experience of working with children with disabilities
- Knowledge of national education and disability and policies (as well as human rights).
- Significant experience in implementing programmes, including experience of the disability sector and gender mainstreaming.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Fluency in English
- Proficiency in MS Word and MS Excel
- An understanding of and commitment to the realization of the rights of people with disabilities
- Knowledge of local languages.
- Availability to work in Chinsali and to travel to programme areas and offices
- Knowledge of current issues and best practices in disability, SDGs, UNCRPD, the country’s legislation and framework on education is desirable.
The Disability Programme Officer is a highly varied and involved role and the above is not an exhaustive list of duties or required professional skills. Please see the Job Description for full details.
Closing date: Sunday 31 January 2021
Interviews are likely to take place mid-February.
As an equal opportunities employer we actively encourage applications from all sections of the community. Sightsavers is a Disability Confident Leader and qualified people living with a disability are particularly encouraged to apply
Closing Date: 31 January, 2021