Salary: Local Terms and Conditions apply
Contract: 2 year Fixed Term Contract
Lymphatic filariasis causes disability if untreated, but fortunately can be treated and prevented with the same medication as used to treat onchocerciasis. Control and elimination of onchocerciasis, a blinding parasite, is key to our central mission of reducing to zero the number of cases of preventable blindness. We aim for consistency, standardisation and alignment with WHO advice across all of the diseases we support. For that reason, we seek to employ a Technical Advisor for LF, focusing specifically on patient care and morbidity management, to complement existing technical expertise and further strengthen our standardisation across programmes and countries.
About the Technical Advisor for Lymphatic Filariasis Patience Care
Working closely with the NTD Technical Director and Senior Technical Adviser for Onchocerciasis and LF, the Technical Adviser for LF will guide and support the implementation of the LF components of Sightsavers NTD implementation and research portfolio, taking a broad health systems strengthening approach to focus on standardisation in LF specific prevalence surveys, hydrocele surgeries, and lymphedema symptom management.
- Support the Senior Technical Advisor for Onchocerciasis and LF to develop strategies, policy and frameworks for the implementation of technical activities for LF. These technical activities include, but are not limited to, LF specific prevalence surveys, LF case finding, and provision of services to manage and address lymphedema and hydrocele.
- Ensure current WHO guidelines on LF morbidity management are followed and propose strategies to improve availability, quality and access to morbidity management services;
- Work with the Senior Technical Advisor for Onchocerciasis and LF to provide Sightsavers country office staff and Ministry of Health partners with technical support for implementation of LF strategy, policy and frameworks and to be the primary point of contact for technical advice to Sightsavers supported programmes, projects and research on LF.
- Prepare progress reports on LF activities to senior technical advisor for onchocerciasis and LF and NTD technical director
- In coordination with national and global stakeholders, particularly ESPEN, support the dissemination and application of best practice for integrated case finding in line with global standards and emerging m-Health systems working closely with Sightsavers Director for Digital Health and Innovation,
- Ensure close coordination and alignment of technical advice and activities in countries were Sightsavers is not the only source of funding for LF activities
- Work with the Institutional Funding Team and Senior Technical Adviser for Onchocerciasis and LF to provide technical guidance and support for the development of new funding proposals for LF implementation or research, ensuring proposals are technically sound, deliverable, and align with WHO guidance and Sightsavers strategic vision and priorities
- Link particularly with technical and management team on the ACSEND project, Sightsavers largest source of funding within their NTD portfolio, to work with ASCEND technical advisers for onchocerciasis, LF, trachoma and for SCH/STH to ensure synergy between activities and planning; link with WASH/BCC and HSS to ensure integration and sustainability for LF case management;
To be successful in securing the Technical Advisor – Lymphatic Filariasis Patient Care role you will possess the following;
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in a relevant discipline;
- Extensive experience and/or qualifications in LF programmes including Patient Care within development sector;
- Ability to work within a complex matrix structure without compromising the roles of key programme personnel;
- Ability to think strategically and effectively translate concepts into action plans;
- Demonstrably skilled in both written and verbal communication in English;
- Fluency in English is required for this role, with French as a second language being desirable, but not essential.
We are truly committed to creating an inclusive culture which values and recognises diversity as something that will only ever make an organisation better. Accordingly, we encourage anyone to apply who possesses the qualities and behaviours outlined above, or who believes they have the propensity to learn them fast.
The above details are not an exhaustive list of principle accountabilities or requirements for the Technical Advisor NTD Entomological and Diagnostic Capacity Building role, for the complete list please read the full Job Description of this position.
Sightsavers works to eliminate avoidable blindness and promote the rights of people with disabilities. Our vision is of a world where no one is blind from avoidable causes, and where people with disabilities participate equally in society.
We are truly committed to creating an inclusive culture which values and recognises diversity as something that will only ever make an organisation better. We encourage anyone to apply who possesses the qualities and behaviours outlined or who believes they have the propensity to learn them fast. You will be joining an inclusive and supportive team who welcome people from all backgrounds.
Sightsavers does not accept unsolicited CVs from external recruitment agencies nor accept the fees associated with them.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.