Technical Advisor NTD Entomological and Diagnostic Capacity Building
Salary: Local Terms and Conditions Apply
Role type: 2 year Fixed Term Contract
Technical Advisor NTD Entomological and Diagnostic Capacity Building introduction
Sightsavers supports a broad range of projects and programmes across more than 30 countries. Control and elimination of onchocerciasis, a blinding parasite, is key to our central mission of reducing to zero the number of cases of preventable blindness. The drive to eliminate onchocerciasis is hampered by low entomology capacity as well as diagnostic ability and facilities in endemic countries. For that reason Sightsavers seek to employ a Technical Adviser - NTD Entomological and Diagnostic Capacity Building, focusing specifically on onchocerciasis and to a lesser degree lymphatic filariasis and other vector borne NTDs, where appropriate. This role will complement existing technical expertise and further strengthen the resources and expertise available across Sightsavers supported programmes and projects.
About the Technical Advisor NTD Entomological and Diagnostic Capacity Building role
Working closely with the NTD Technical Director, Senior Technical Adviser for Onchocerciasis and LF, and Senior Epidemiologist, the Technical Adviser for NTD Entomological and Diagnostic Capacity Building will guide and support entomological surveys, training, data collection and analysis, and develop strategies, networks and collaborations to support strengthening of NTD diagnostic capacity and facilities in endemic countries.
- Support the Senior Technical Advisor for Onchocerciasis and LF to develop strategies, training packages, and knowledge transfer initiatives to increase and strengthen onchocerciasis entomological and onchocerciasis diagnostic capacity in endemic countries and programmes, aligned with national programme, Sightsavers and WHO standards and guidelines
- Support the Senior Technical Advisor for Onchocerciasis and LF to ensure current WHO guidelines on onchocerciasis elimination, particularly in relation to entomological and serological criteria, are embedded in all technical plans, advice and actions.
- Work with the Senior Epidemiologist and Technical Advisor for Onchocerciasis and LF to provide Sightsavers country office staff and Ministry of Health partners with technical support for implementation of onchocerciasis entomological and diagnostic activities.
- Prepare regular progress reports for senior Technical Advisors and Project Directors
- Coordinate with national and global stakeholders, particularly ESPEN, to support the dissemination and application of best practice for onchocerciasis entomology and diagnostic capacity strengthening
- Work with the Institutional Funding Team and Senior Technical Adviser for Onchocerciasis and LF to provide technical guidance and support for the development of new funding proposals for onchocerciasis entomological and diagnostic implementation or research, ensuring proposals are technically sound, deliverable, and align with WHO guidance and Sightsavers strategic vision and priorities
- Link particularly with technical and management team on the ACSEND project, Sightsavers largest source of funding within their NTD portfolio, to work with ASCEND technical advisers for onchocerciasis, LF, trachoma and for SCH/STH to ensure synergy between activities and planning; link with WASH/BCC and HSS to ensure integration and sustainability onchocerciasis entomology or laboratory strengthening activities
- Promote health system strengthening through strengthening entomology and diagnostics capacity, and take a systems approach to addressing these gaps in endemic contexts; embedding NTD capacity into national health systems and laboratory networks, striving for cross-sectoral coordination where relevant.
To be successful in securing the Technical Advisor NTD Entomological and Diagnostic Capacity Building role you will possess the following;
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in a relevant discipline
- Extensive experience in LF programmes including Patient Care within the development sector
- Laboratory experience working on onchocerciasis diagnosis, particularly Ov16 serological methods and O-150 molecular methods
- Experience designing and delivering training to laboratory personnel, or similar
- Knowledge of the biology and control of Simulium damnosum in Africa
- Experience designing surveys and collecting data on Simulium damnosum in Africa
- Ability to work within a complex matrix structure without compromising the roles of key programme personnel;
- Ability to think strategically and effectively translate concepts into action plans;
- English fluency is required for this position. French as a second language is desirable, but not essential.
The above details are not an exhaustive list of principle accountabilities or requirements for the Technical Advisor NTD Entomological and Diagnostic Capacity Building role, for the complete list please read the full Job Description of this position.
Sightsavers works to eliminate avoidable blindness and promote the rights of people with disabilities. Our vision is of a world where no one is blind from avoidable causes, and where people with disabilities participate equally in society.
We are truly committed to creating an inclusive culture which values and recognises diversity as something that will only ever make an organisation better. We encourage anyone to apply who possesses the qualities and behaviours outlined or who believes they have the propensity to learn them fast. You will be joining an inclusive and supportive team who welcome people from all backgrounds.
Sightsavers does not accept unsolicited CVs from external recruitment agencies nor accept the fees associated with them.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.