Head of People - Smart Works Charity
About Smart Works
Smart Works is a dynamic, high profile and fast-growing UK charity that dresses and coaches unemployed women for success at their job interview. We empower each woman by giving her the clothes and the confidence she needs to succeed.
After visiting Smart Works, 69% of clients secure a job within a month, gaining financial independence and transforming their lives.
The Smart Works service is delivered in London, Greater Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Newcastle, Reading and Leeds. Over the past ten years, Smart Works has helped over 30,000 women. It is our mission that any woman who needs our service should be able to find her way to a Smart Works centre.
In April 2022, we launched a new Three-Year Plan that will see the charity double the number of women helped annually from 5,000 to 10,000 women a year.
A key pillar of the three year plan was to create group functions that directly support the growth and operations of Smart Works nationally. In September 2022, Smart Works created a People function to build a best in class employment and volunteer experience for our community.
About the role
Smart Works is looking for a passionate and driven HR leader to join our outstanding staff team and lead the People function. This role offers a unique combination of hands-on, operational responsibility and stretching strategic oversight.
Responsible for growing our newest function, we are looking to appoint a collaborative leader with a strong record of cultivating a vibrant, high-potential environment and delivering results in a People-focused role.
Reporting directly to our CEO and as an active part of our Senior Leadership Team, the Head of People will nurture a supportive, ambitious and continuous learning environment across the charity.
The successful candidate will be committed to making Smart Works the best place to work in the charity sector. They will be an excellent listener, building trusted and engaging relationships across the Smart Works community.
In leading a relatively new function, the Head of People must feel comfortable innovating, identify opportunities for improvement and introducing new initiatives that will enable our community to reach their full potential and succeed.
This is a hybrid working role, with travel to HQ in North London at least twice a month. There may be occasional evening and weekend work required where senior representation is needed to support activities as well as occasional travel to centres across the UK.
Duties and responsibilities
As the leader of the Smart Works People function, the successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Overseeing and managing all aspects of the employee, trustee and volunteer lifecycle at Smart Works including recruitment and onboarding, learning and development, performance management, engagement, employee relations and exits.
- Leading and developing a small team to provide hands-on HR support and advice across the charity, as well as providing strategic direction to the function.
- Building and nurturing an inclusive, supportive and rewarding culture that ensures our community are engaged and retained, and feel connected to our mission.
- Developing a learning and development programme across Smart Works to enhance skills, promote professional growth and drive a culture of continuous learning.
- Building the HR capabilities of leaders across Smart Works with a high level of support and coaching to ensure they have a clear understanding of our culture and values, and confidence in applying policies and procedures.
- Jointly leading the delivery of the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion strategy across the charity, being a visible face across the organisation and externally, demonstrating thoughtful and consistent representation of our values and ethos.
If you are passionate about building great places to work and share our values, we would love to hear from you.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.