Smile Train is changing the world one smile at a time. We’re always on the hunt for curious, passionate, and innovative thinkers to join our team, to help us do what we do better. If that’s you, please read on.
Smile Train is an international charity headquartered in New York. Our mission is to transform the life of every person impacted by cleft lip and palate. We train and support doctors and medical professionals to provide free life-changing comprehensive cleft treatment to our beneficiaries. Our sustainable model has allowed us to reach 1.5 million children in 90+ countries to date and we’re just getting started. We are truly changing the world one smile at a time.
We are looking for a Development Manager to join our UK Team. This person will be responsible for all aspects of major gift fundraising, cultivating and managing relationships with individual major donors, trusts and foundations and legacy prospects. Working closely and with the support of UK Fundraising Director, the Development Manager will set and achieve annual fundraising goals.
The Development Manager will report to the Director of Fundraising, UK. This is a full-time staff position based at our office in London, starting as soon as possible.
- Develop and cultivate relationships with major individual donors
- Develop and manage relationships with trusts and foundations
- Organize and manage all aspects of UK donor fundraising and cultivation/stewardship events
- Develop marketing strategy for legacies
Individual Major Donors
- Develop a plan for outreach to high net worth individuals, including developing and maintaining a donor prospect list
- Identify and research donors from within and outside our current database with the interest and capacity to make significant donations
- Cultivate relationships with major donors and prospects, with emphasis on personal meetings where possible to inform donors and prospects about Smile Train, identify their areas of interest and explore opportunities for funding
- Develop bespoke donor stewardship plans tailored to individual requirements and expectations
Trusts and Foundations
- Research, identify and develop a strategic plan for new and existing trust funders at all levels
- Develop and steward relationships with trusts and foundations
- Keep current foundations supporters engaged, by providing appropriate updates in a timely manner as necessary
- Identify potential event locations, conduct site visits and propose event concepts
- Propose invitation list, manage invitation and RSVP process
- Plan and execute all details of the event
- Review and update legacy marketing materials
- Process bequests including acknowledgements to solicitors and family members
- Manage relationships with solicitors for potential future bequests
- Develop and manage the planned giving mass mailings
- Send out legacy brochures to donors and responding to incoming queries
Our ideal candidate has/is:
- Degree in a related field (such as fundraising, non-profit management)
- 4+ years of relevant experience in development or fundraising, ideally in a non-profit environment
- Success working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment with a strong ROI orientation
- Strong strategic, analytical, and persuasive skills
- Ability to network and leverage contacts and connections, and ability to prioritize while working under multiple deadlines
- Detail-oriented; ability to effectively collect, analyze, organize, distill and present information
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Great customer service and interpersonal skills
- Ability to maintain perspective and a sense of humor
Smile Train is committed to diversity and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
To apply, please complete the application through the link below. Include your CV, and a cover letter that describes why you believe you would be a good fit for Smile Train and this role.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, but we encourage interested applicants to apply as soon as possible.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.