Do you love working with volunteers? Are you inspired by matching their support with opportunities that will make a tangible positive impact on breaking the cycle of homelessness? Are you good at gathering information and organising people? If so, we would love to hear from you!
This brand new role is dedicated to coordinating volunteers to help deliver our services, campaigns and events – helping with recruitment, logistics, stewardship and communications. You will be playing a key part in helping to look after and grow our volunteers, ensure volunteering processes are smooth and efficient, and identify volunteering needs and roles.
Social Bite wouldn’t be able to do what we do without volunteers helping us across the organisation, from our services and social impact projects through to our fundraising campaigns and events. This new role is dedicated to centralised coordination of their recruitment, management, stewardship and communications. The role has been created to help us nurture and grow our volunteer base, ensure our volunteering needs are being met, make the most of volunteering opportunities, and ensure volunteering processes are smooth and efficient. Having this in place is key to our strategy.
We are looking for someone passionate about volunteering, who is organised with good customer service skills, to join the friendly, creative and go-getting team at Social Bite as we take the next steps towards our vision of ending homelessness together.
Your immediate focus will be on our Christmas campaign – the Festival of Kindness - where we need volunteers across Scotland and in London to help us deliver an initiative that will provide hundreds of thousands of Christmas meals, winter food packs, gifts and essential items – as well as accommodation – to people experiencing homelessness and food poverty.
Key responsibilities and duties
- Map out volunteering needs across all teams and projects, for example:
- Social impact: free food provision service, central kitchen function, signposting support, Christmas dinners
- Campaigns and events: event marshals; manning stalls; representing the charity at city-centre installations in shifts throughout the month of December; picking and sorting of donated items at a warehouse; gift wrapping etc.
- Other: skills-sharing
- Creating and updating a ‘volunteering menu’ with things that volunteers can help with – ranging from service delivery to campaigns and events, options for weekdays vs. evenings and weekends, what can be done in-person vs. remotely.
- Drafting role profiles and adverts for volunteering positions across the organisation – both year-round and campaign-specific
- Being the point of contact for all volunteering enquiries, including:
- Corporate partner employees or supporters responding to volunteer role adverts
- Members of the public proactively offering to volunteer in general
- Providing information for content for volunteer recruitment social media posts and mailchimps
- Ensure correct recruitment procedures are following eg. references, risk assessments, exit interviews where relevant.
- To maintain pool of on-call regular volunteers who can help at short notice, help with holiday cover etc.
- Creating and organising schedules and shifts / rotas: placing volunteers into positions and knowing and communicating who is doing what and when, filling gaps and having back-ups for potential drop-outs.
- Communicating with volunteers to let them know / remind them where to be and when, answer FAQs
- Communicating with Social Bite staff in the shops about the rota and cover for free food provision
- Communicating with the Social Impact team about any issues or support needs that might arise
Policies and procedures
- Ensure volunteers have completed all health & safety and confidentiality forms, are familiar with safe-guarding and expense-claiming policies and processes
- To liaise with unit managers to make sure that all volunteers are inducted in their roles where relevant
- To ensure volunteers get the training they need for their role, if relevant. For example, working closely with the Social Impact Team to ensure that trusting and positive relationships are built and a trauma-informed approach is being used when working with supported volunteers.
Stewardship and communications
- Building relationships with volunteers, thanking and updating and recognising them, celebrating them on National Volunteer Week etc.
- Keep a database of all volunteers – both long-term and campaign-only, following GDPR requirements
- To develop and implement a calendar of activity of key events and milestones (such as Volunteers Week) and plot out key steps in the volunteer journey from induction through to thanking, to ensure efficient communication and engagement
- To work with the Comms Manager on a volunteers’ newsletter and include volunteers in the collection of content including experiences, stories, images and videos.
- To help shape and implement a volunteering strategy
- To explore a Volunteer Programme accreditation / award
Experience and knowledge
- Experience in working with groups of volunteers in a professional capacity
- Basic knowledge of charity law
- Excellent time & priority management and organisational skills
- Excellent communication skills – written and verbal
- Ability to proactively acquire information from colleagues to assess what is needed
- Ability to collate, analyse and evaluate that information and use it to inform a plan and next steps
- Ability to build relationships with a wide variety of individuals to achieve positive outcomes and establish sustainable relationships
Ethos and approach
- Confident in proactively reaching out to colleagues and volunteers to acquire and share information
- Flexible and solution-focused
- Passion for the cause and a commitment to working as part of a team on a mission to help end homelessness.
- Ability to represent the work of Social Bite to the public with commitment and integrity.
- A willingness and commitment to undertake the role in a professional manner and maintain high-quality work at all times.
- To help promote an effective, positive and constructive team culture, where the work of others is valued and respected.
- Director of Fundraising and Partnerships
- Head of Social Impact
- Communications Manager
- Campaigns Manager
- Wider Fundraising and MarComms team
- Wider Social Impact team
- Shop managers and staff
- Corporate partner employees who are volunteering
- Social Bite supporters
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.