Social Investment Business provide finance to create fairer communities and improve people’s lives. We do this by providing the money and support they need directly, partnering to support them effectively and, using our knowledge to inform our own work and influence others.
To say 2020 was an extraordinary year for Social Investment Business would be an understatement. By the end of the year, the team had assessed more than 3300 applications, disbursed nearly £30m of grants, and invested over £15m: all in addition to work that was actually planned. Since 2018, we have become the strategic grants partner to Access and Power to Change, and helped win and establish the £200m Youth Endowment Fund. And we have a burgeoning reputation as a sector leader in data analysis and insights.
It is a hugely exciting time to join the organisation: we are growing and investing in our expert team, and building on the successes of the last few years. We believe this is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is as passionate as we are about strengthening organisations, investing in communities, and improving people’s lives across the UK. If you have the same level of enthusiasm and commitment to that mission, and also to continuous improvement and learning, this could be the role for you.
Since 2004, Social Investment Business has deployed and managed over £400m of loans and grants into over 2,000 organisations and enabled almost 1,000 more to get dedicated support through our programmes. Social Investment Business is a values-led organisation and as such we expect all colleagues to live by the values which underpin what we do and how we do it.
Our values are:
• Put People First
• Be Curious
• Be Bold
• Be Collaborative
• Be Accountable
About this role
We have an opportunity for a talented Head of Grants to join our Grants Team as part of the Social Investment Business organisation. Reporting to our Director of Grants this role plays an important part in shaping our grant-making, and working with our partners to make sure that our funding is supporting communities and creating impact. This will be a key role which will work with colleagues across our organisation to deliver our objectives and to support the delivery of SIB’S strategy.
We are looking for someone who has previous experience of effectively leading funding programmes of significant size, implementing systems improvements to improve internal and external processes, and who has experience of working with multiple stakeholders. We need someone who is passionate, proactive, can work well autonomously and as part of a team and is flexible, adaptable and can manage competing priorities.
Relationship Management & Assessments
- To develop, maintain, and continuously improve, high quality grant assessment and monitoring practices and policies, ensuring consistently excellent levels of customer service
- To take the lead in ensuring that all grant funding objectives, KPIs and targets are met, and ensure reporting and processes are in place to support and monitor this.
- To lead, provide direction and oversee the workload of all staff involved in grant assessment and monitoring work.
- To work closely with the wider SIB team on the development, design and implementation of new programmes, in line with SIB strategic objectives.
- To work closely with the wider SIB team to ensure grants data is captured, reported on, and used to make ongoing programme improvements.
- To support the Director of Grants in developing strategic plans for grant making at Social Investment Business
- To ensure that processes and systems within the Grants Team are effective and fit for purpose, complying with quality standards and audit, funding and business requirements.
- To work with colleagues to develop policy and guidance on appropriate and proportionate levels of due diligence for grant assessment and monitoring work and guide the Grants Team in the successful application of these policies.
- To coach and advise grants team staff on all aspects of their work from responding to initial grant enquiries through to assessment, decision-making and monitoring, providing technical and policy advice and knowledge.
- To provide an overview of the grant fund portfolios, developing, providing and improving management information and analysis for reporting to Group Boards and Committees, and for internal management and KPI reporting purposes.
- To develop effective grant monitoring processes and ensure that lessons learnt are captured and fed into process improvements.
- Contribute to the knowledge management, equality, diversity and inclusion and learning objectives of the organisation, supporting the implementation and effectiveness of SIB strategy.
- Help develop solutions and ensure ‘business requirements’ are correctly defined and support implementation of new projects and initiatives.
- Represent SIB at external events, ensuring all communications are professional and in line with SIB’s values.
- Manage customer complaints in a professional and responsive manner.
- To work within the organisation's processes and procedures required to contribute to the effectiveness of the quality management system.
- In agreement with manager to undertake other tasks that support the objectives of SIB as required.
- To work in accordance with our five core values.
- Track record of leading funding programmes of significant size
- Experience of managing online grants application and management systems
- Demonstrable experience of problem solving and meeting the evolving needs of a broad range of clients, including government clients
- Experience of managing complex networks of stakeholders with different interests and priorities in a high profile programme.
- Proven track record on leading, developing and motivating teams
- Demonstrable record of improving quality and performance within a funding environment.