Social Investment Business provide finance to create fairer communities and improve people’s lives. We do this by providing the money and support they need directly, partnering to support them effectively and, using our knowledge to inform our own work and influence others.
To say 2020 was an extraordinary year for Social Investment Business would be an understatement. By the end of the year, the team had assessed more than 3300 applications, disbursed nearly £30m of grants, and invested over £15m: all in addition to work that was actually planned. Since 2018, we have become the strategic grants partner to Access and Power to Change, and helped win and establish the £200m Youth Endowment Fund. And we have a burgeoning reputation as a sector leader in data analysis and insights.
It is a hugely exciting time to join the organisation: we are growing and investing in our expert team, and building on the successes of the last few years. We believe this is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is as passionate as we are about strengthening organisations, investing in communities, and improving people’s lives across the UK. If you have the same level of enthusiasm and commitment to that mission, and also to continuous improvement and learning, this could be the role for you.
Since 2004, Social Investment Business has deployed and managed over £400m of loans and grants into over 2,000 organisations and enabled almost 1,000 more to get dedicated support through our programmes. Social Investment Business is a values-led organisation and as such we expect all colleagues to live by the values which underpin what we do and how we do it.
Our values are:
• Put People First
• Be Curious
• Be Bold
• Be Collaborative
• Be Accountable
About this Role
We have an opportunity for a talented Relationship Manager to join our Grants Team as part of the Social Investment Business organisation. Reporting to our Head of Grants this role plays an important part in supporting our Investment team in Grant funding which supports the delivery of SIB’s strategy and focus.
We are looking for someone who has previous experience of social investment or grant making and has worked with charities and social enterprises. This is a great opportunity for someone to be involved in making a difference to people. We need someone who is passionate, proactive, can work well autonomously and as part of a team and is flexible, adaptable and can manage competing priorities.
Relationship Management & Assessments
1. Management and assessment of a caseload of grant proposals / applications against criteria, throughout the process from expression of interest to offer / decline.
2. Analysis of business plans and financial information including management and annual accounts and financial projections and review organisations’ current and potential social impact.
3. Identification of risks attached and any mitigating factors and reach sound and considered judgements about the viability and suitability of proposals/ applications.
4. Approach key stakeholders, e.g. co-investors/funders, local authorities, Commissioners, [potential] Delivery Partners, to establish an independent view of the applicant and their plans.
5. Make clear and constructive recommendations, in written reports for decision-making by Committees / panels and through presentations at meetings.
6. Establish and maintain relationships with support providers on investment readiness and other funds, ensuring that they are provided with accurate and consistent information and guidance.
7. Prepare all Grant offer, documentation and ensure this accurately reflects the agreed offer and ensure all payments due under agreed investments are reviewed, progressed and authorised in line with procedures.
8. Provide constructive feedback and signposting to applicants (successful and unsuccessful).
9. Act as the primary point of contact for all communications with your caseload of recipients.
10. Contribute to the knowledge management, equality, diversity, and inclusion and learning objectives of the organisation, supporting the implementation and effectiveness of SIB strategy.
11. Help develop solutions and ensure ‘business requirements’ are correctly defined and support implementation of new projects and initiatives.
12. Represent SIB at external events, ensuring all communications are professional and in line with SIB’s values.
13. Manage customer complaints in a professional and responsive manner.
14. To work within the organisation's processes and procedures required to contribute to the effectiveness of the quality management system.
15. In agreement with manager to undertake other tasks that support The Social Investment Business’ objectives as required.
- Experience of managing relationships with grant investees.
- Ability to analyse and make objective judgements based upon complex written and financial information.
- Experience of assessing and managing Grant applications.
- Experience of appraising organisations’ business plans, investment propositions, growth strategies and capabilities.
- Good negotiating, influencing and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills that can be adapted for a variety of audiences.
- Ability to work using own initiative, manage own workload, be a self-motivator and able to make informed decisions with minimum supervision.
- Good knowledge of due diligence processes.
- Good knowledge of the issues facing community-based organisations.
- Commitment to equalities and customer care.
- Good knowledge of the voluntary and community sector, local and central government and the statutory sector as a whole.
In addition to salary, SIB offer a generous rewards package which includes:
- Flexible working
- Annual leave of 25 days per year plus bank holidays
- Birthday leave
- Group life assurance – Death in service scheme which pays three times annual salary
- Employee assistance programme – confidential counselling and information services
- Perkbox – free access to over 200 exclusive perks
- Health and Wellbeing benefit
- Access to training, personal and professional development
- Cycle scheme
- Volunteering and visits – the opportunity to volunteer at or visit one of the many charities and social enterprises we support.
- Enhanced Family Friendly benefits