Role Profile – Relationship Manager
Social Investment Business provide finance to create fairer communities and improve people’s lives. We do this by providing the money and support they need directly, partnering to support them effectively and, using our knowledge to inform our own work and influence others.
The last 18 months have been extraordinary ones for Social Investment Business. The team has assessed over 3500 applications, disbursed over £30m of grants, and invested over £24m: all in addition to work that was originally planned before Covid. Since 2018, we have become the strategic grants partner to Access and Power to Change, helped win and establish the £200m Youth Endowment Fund, and hosted the Social Investment Forum and the Diversity Forum. And we have a burgeoning reputation as a sector leader in data analysis and insights.
It is a hugely exciting time to join the organisation: we are growing and investing in our expert team, and building on the successes of the last few years. We believe this is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is as passionate as we are about strengthening organisations, investing in communities, and improving people’s lives across the UK. If you have the same level of enthusiasm and commitment to that mission, and also to continuous improvement and learning, this could be the role for you.
Since 2004, Social Investment Business has deployed and managed over £400m of loans and grants into over 2,000 organisations and enabled almost 1,000 more to get dedicated support through our programmes. Social Investment Business is a values-led organisation and as such we expect all colleagues to live by the values which underpin what we do and how we do it.
Our values are:
• Put People First
• Be Curious
• Be Bold
• Be Collaborative
• Be Accountable
About this role
We have an opportunity for a talented Relationship Manager to join our Investment Team as part of the Social Investment Business organisation. Reporting to a Relationship Manager (Projects) this role plays an important part in assisting our Investment team support the delivery of SIB’s strategy and focus.
We are looking for someone who has previous experience of relationship management and managing a portfolio of business/organisation loan customers. This is a great opportunity for someone to be involved in making a difference to people. We need someone who is passionate, proactive, can work well autonomously and as part of a team and is flexible, adaptable and can manage competing priorities.
- Responsible for managing a portfolio of SIBs smaller/less complex investments (loans and grants) and acting as the primary point of contact for all communications with those customers.
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with all investees within your portfolio.
- Collect, review and report on monitoring information from loans/grants recipients which is predominatly financial information (management accounts, annual accounts and forecasts) and social impact progression.
- Ensure scheduled loan repayments due from investees are received in line with agreed schedules and take action where not received.
- Proactively identify emerging support needs and recommend methods to address these, including sources of external advice/support.
- Discuss potential variations to the terms of loans or grants with investees and prepare and submit loan variation recommendations to internal committees including the SIB Investment Committee.
- Undertake AML/KYC, eligibility and fraud checks on new borrowers.
- Drawing up loan and security documentation where required.
- Arrange drawdown and disbursements of funding.
- Generate new SIB customers through referrals from customers within your portfolio and your own professional networks.
- Support and/or lead on relevant investment team projects as and when required.
- Take enquiries from and provide guidance to applicants on all SIB funds.
- Provide cover for the Investment Team Assistant when they are on leave.
- Contribute to the knowledge management, equality, diversity and inclusion and learning objectives of the organisation, supporting the implementation and effectiveness of SIB strategy.
- Work within the organisation's processes and procedures required to contribute to the effectiveness of the quality management system.
- In agreement with your manager, undertake other tasks that support the objectives of SIB as required.
- Experience of managing or working with a portfolio of business/organisation loan customers.
- Ability to analyse and make objective judgements based upon complex written and financial information.
- Experience of interpreting and understanding data on Microsoft Excel.
- Credit assessment training or a good understanding of company financial accounts.
- Good negotiating, influencing and problem solving skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills that can be adapted for a variety of audiences.
- A team player who enjoys working in collaboration with other people.
- Ability to work using own initiative, manage own workload, be a self-motivator and work remotely.
- A passion to help financially viable charities and social enterprises access funding.
- Commitment to equalities and customer care.
- Knowledge of the voluntary, community, and social enterprise sector.