You have an opportunity to join one of the UK’s most innovative and dynamic Community Foundations, working closely with the Operations Director and Finance Administrator to manage the finance systems.
You will play a very important role in our small team, helping the whole charity to work efficiently and effectively, ensuring we always maximise our impact in local communities.
About Somerset Community Foundation
Somerset Community Foundation is a charity which provides vital funding and support to around 300 small, local charities and individuals every year. Since 2002, we’ve awarded almost £10m of funding, thanks to the support of our generous donors.
Somerset is a wonderful county in which to grow up, live and work. But lots of local people face considerable challenges in their lives, whether through disability, poor health, poverty or disadvantage. Our funding plays a vital role in helping to reduce this disadvantage, creating stronger communities and changing thousands of lives across the county every year.
Our main office is based in the beautiful rural location of The Bath and West Showground, with the conveniences of Shepton Mallet not too far away. We offer flexible working hours and a homeworking policy to support our staff in maintaining a healthy work/home life balance. Somerset Community Foundation is an equal-opportunities and living wage employer.
You will bring energy and enthusiasm to the team, ensuring financial functions are carried out efficiently, effectively, accurately and in a timely way to enable the Foundation to focus on achieving its charitable mission.
The focus of the role will be on managing and improving financial processes, ensuring that the Senior Leadership Team have up-to-date and accurate records for reporting to the Board, supporting the grants team with accurate fund reports and preparing the accounts for audit each year. You will work closely with the whole team of staff and volunteers, but you will work most closely with the Finance Administrator and will be line managed by the Operations Director.
You will be provided with training on the Foundation’s IT and finance systems. In addition, to help you understand the value of the Foundation, you may occasionally visit projects we have funded.
The successful applicant will always be expected to observe the Foundation’s values and policies and to actively engage with continuous professional development.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience (essential unless otherwise noted):
- Ideally at least five years’ experience in a similar role
- Minimum of AAT Level 4, preferably ACA/ACCA or equivalent
- Experience of accounting software, especially Sage
- Experience of working with databases and Microsoft Office, including Office 365 (desirable)
- Knowledge of charity finance
Personal qualities and attributes:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to work under own initiative but also able to request support when necessary
- Confident managing a busy and varied workload and able to prioritise effectively
- Good problem-solving competencies
- Understanding of the role of local charities, voluntary organisations and social enterprises, and the people they help
*Please note that our office is in a rural location and that access to a car and a clean UK driving licence are required.
Key Areas of Responsibility (including but not limited to):
- Ensure donations are properly recorded on our CRM and in Sage
- Monitor & check that supplier invoices and employee expenses are allocated to correct funds
- Reconcile bank accounts monthly
- Preparing monthly management reports, noting significant variances with forecasts
- Monitor outstanding debtors, and with line manager approval, chase overdue debtors
- Monitor and report on cash flow
- Oversee the BACS payments process bi-monthly and as needed
- Monitor monthly loan repayments in support of managing our investment portfolio
- Prepare fund balances as and when required by the programmes team to support grant-making and reporting to funder holders
- Prepare the monthly investment management report
- Work with members of the Senior Leadership Team to create Board reports, and attend meetings as requested
- Prepare statutory accounts, working with the Operations Director and CEO to ensure income and costs are allocated accurately across SORP categories
- Support the Senior Leadership Team in the preparation of the annual budget and cash flow forecast
- Attend SCF events as requested, including very occassional evenings
- Any other reasonable duties as requested
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.