Every charity has a board of trustees – a group of volunteers who ensure that the charity is effective in carrying out the purpose for which it was set up. Trustees have responsibility for overseeing the work of the charity, ensuring it is financially stable, well-run, compliant and fulfilling its charitable obligations.
Soundabout’s Board of Trustees have a range of expertise, and they’re all passionate about how music can unlock the potential of people with severe and profound learning disabilities. Due to the structure of the charity, they are directors of the business and trustees of the charity, legally responsible for the running of Soundabout.
We especially welcome applications from people from under-represented groups and are committed to making adjustments that would support you in applying for or carrying out the role. We are currently under-represented by disabled people, people from across the spectrum of neurodiversity, and those from minoritised groups including the LGBTQ+ Community.
We welcome applications from people who have not had previous Trustee experience and offer training to build the skills and knowledge required.
What you would do as a trustee
- Use your insight and experience to help us achieve our goals and ambitions.
- Contribute to strategic thinking and planning particularly regarding future direction.
- Act as an ambassador for the charity.
- Attend four board meetings and one away day each year plus project visits, events and other meetings as and when required.
Whilst it is voluntary, you can be reimbursed for any expenses you have incurred in your role as a Soundabout trustee.
The minimum term for a trustee is three years, with a maximum of three terms (nine years).
The skills and attributes we’re looking for
We are particularly looking for candidates who have specific expertise in the areas of charity/employment law, fundraising, finance or HR. Although not an essential criterion, we are also seeking candidates who have experience in safeguarding strategies and policies.
You do not necessarily need to have any previous experience of being a Trustee, however we’re looking for people who are:
- Passionate about the work of Soundabout – helping to create musical communities without barriers, with a focus on ensuring that people with severe and profound learning disabilities have a voice.
- Committed to and knowledgeable about equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Has knowledge of, and can speak about, the issues facing people with severe and profound learning disabilities and is willing to spend time getting inducted into the work of Soundabout, preparing for meetings, and doing any follow-up work they commit to.
- Can think strategically, critically and maintain confidentiality.
We offer training through OCVA for Trustees.
All Soundabout staff have been working from home since March 2020. We will begin to have regular meetings at our donated office space in Oxford when safe to do so, keeping a close eye on COVID-19 prevalence rates and taking an individual approach with each member of staff dependent on their needs. We have a comprehensive health and safety plan in place.
All board meetings in 2020/2021 took place remotely via Zoom and we would look in due course to move to a hybrid approach so that Trustees can join us who are not based locally.
Diversity and equal opportunities
Soundabout is an equal opportunities and Living Wage employer. We are committed to attracting, recruiting and retaining diverse candidates, as it’s important that our team reflect the communities we serve at every level within the charity.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.