Role title: Chair of Trustees
Reports to: the Trustee Board
Purpose of the role
· to lead the committee in ensuring the effective performance of its governance responsibilities
· to work in partnership with the Director to help her / him achieve the objects set for SDCAS
· to ensure there is an effective relationship between the Trustee Board and the organisation, staff, volunteers, members, and stakeholders.
Main duties Note: some of the duties listed below may be delegated to other Trustee Board members.
1. Ensure the Trustee Board fulfils its responsibilities by ensuring that
- the board functions effectively and carries out its duties
- the Trustee Board sets an strategy for SDCAS with clear policy objectives
- that the business of meetings is dealt with, and decisions, when required, are arrived at, and recorded, and their implementation monitored
- SDCAS’s financial dealings are prudently and systematically accounted for, audited, or independently examined, and publicly available
- SDCAS has a satisfactory system for holding funds? in trust for its beneficiaries
- satisfactory arrangements are made to identify and nominate the next Chair of the Trustee Boar
- the Trustee Board regularly reviews its structure, role, and relationship to staff and implements change as necessary
2. Work closely with the Director to recruit Trustee Board members with relevant expertise and experience and to adhere to Charity Commission guidelines
3. Work with the director to ensure Trustee Board members receive appropriate advice, training, and information relating to their role
4. Work with the Director to achieve the objects set for the organisation. This includes:
* ensuring that the Trustee Board develops a long-term strategy for the SDCAS with objectives which can be monitored
* monitoring progress in implementing the annual work plan
· ensuring appropriate goals are set for the resources available to SDCAS
· ensuring appropriate arrangements are in place to support, monitor and review the work of the Director} and other staff
· helping to promote SDCAS to a wider audience of potential funders and beneficiaries.
· ensuring that SDCAS has appropriate procedures to:-comply with current legislation and good practice, including employment, health and safety, non-discrimination-advertise for, interview, select and appoint staff
· agreeing an annual schedule for Trustee Board & subcommittee meetings and key events
· ensuring appropriate communication between the Trustee Board and staff, volunteers, members and stakeholders.
*commitment to the welfare of asylum seekers and refugees in London
*ability to work in a flexible environment
*successful experience of chairing management boards
*experience of change management
*good meeting and presentation skills
*supportive and confident leadership style
Desirable: · knowledge of the local funding landscape · lived experience of being a refugee/asylum seeker