About the role:
Spotlight on Corruption is looking for an enthusiastic and self-motivated person with exceptional research and investigation skills and a flair for communication to join our growing team. The role is an exciting opportunity for a determined and ambitious person with a track record of producing rigorous and hard-hitting research for a wide range of audiences.
Spotlight on Corruption is a dynamic new charity which focuses on ending impunity for corruption and holding the UK to account for its role in corruption at home and wherever it has influence. We track how the UK is implementing its anti-corruption laws and monitor whether anti-corruption enforcement in the UK is working.
Spotlight on Corruption is led by anti-corruption expert, Dr Susan Hawley. We have a particular focus on following corruption trials, advocating for greater open justice and transparency in the UK courts and on tracking the effectiveness of enforcement bodies. We work to ensure that there is proper accountability for companies and senior executives that engage in corporate wrongdoing and compensation for the victims of corruption affected by corporate wrongdoing. Our work includes investigating cases, making the case for change, and using strategic litigation to bring change about.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about fighting corruption with strong analytical, investigative and research skills. The researcher will undertake targeted research into how the UK is enforcing its anti-corruption laws, investigate specific instances of corruption, and develop evidence based policy proposals to achieve change. The right person will have excellent communication skills, both written and spoken, including social media experience, and will be able to demonstrate that they can help Spotlight communicate its research and messages more effectively.
- Undertake research and investigations, including writing accessible, evidence-based policy briefings and research reports.
- Produce blogs on key developments relating to corruption and enforcement.
- Assist in the development and implementation of Spotlight on Corruption’s communication strategy, so that its research and messages reach key stakeholders more effectively.
- Build Spotlight’s social media presence and develop its email communications with interested stakeholders.
- Participate in core activities of Spotlight on Corruption including: assist with fundraising; attend meetings with government and other stakeholders; liaise with other anti-corruption NGOs; and present research to various audiences.
Relevant skills, competences and experience:
- Strong skills in information gathering and investigation
- Strong skills in analysis and managing large quantities of information
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with ability to write clearly and persuasively to influence Spotlight on Corruption’s stakeholders
- Proven ability to work remotely on own initiative with minimal supervision while maintaining strong communication with members of a small team
- Ability to use communications strategically, including social media, websites and email newsletters
- Adaptable and flexible
- Strong organisational and administrative skills including IT proficiency, including remote working platforms, web research skills, social media platforms and digital communication tools
- Strong understanding of and a commitment to fighting corruption and/or economic crime and its impact on governance, democracy and development
Applications should be made by submitting a covering letter setting out your suitability for the role and CV, and an example of a piece of writing done within the past 4 months.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.