Who are we?
We are St Matthew’s Church, in the heart of Bethnal Green. We’re a small and welcoming church and we have some big and exciting ideas. We want to play a much greater role in our communities, bringing people together and using our space to build bridges.
We provide a place for people who want a moment of peace from the hectic Brick Lane and Spitalfields. And we provide a space to pray and think about God.
What do we need?
We need volunteers to help us run the Church, specifically a Treasurer for our Parochial Church Council (PCC), which is the church equivalent to a board of Trustees.
We know there are lots of people in our local area who could help us out on the PCC.
What are we looking for?
We’re looking for someone who can spare a few hours a month helping keep St Matthew’s Church in order financially. That will include drawing up a yearly budget, updating our Church Council on our financial health, develop a fundraising strategy for our outreach work in the community. We employ a part-time Bookkeeper to do the everyday processing of invoices and expenses.
A belief in God definitely helps. If you join our PCC you’ll be on our electoral roll and that means you plan to regularly (once a month at least) attend mass at St Matthew’s. We meet at 10:30am on Sundays. But we know people come to church for lots of reasons, so where ever you are on your faith journey, you’re welcome in our church. You don’t even have to have been before to get involved.
Our PCC Treasurer will need to:
- Contribute to meetings and support the Rector of St Matthew’s to make decisions that are in the best interest of the church.
- Be interested in what is happening at the Church and how we can improve
- Understand, interpret and explain our financial position
- Understand how our finances fit with the wider Church of England community
- Make recommendations about how we might improve our systems and governance processes so we can make better use of our resources
- Set a budget for the year ahead and wider financial projections
- Keep a watching brief on forecasts and expenditure
- Report back to the quarterly PCC meeting
We'd love it if you came to this role with financial or treasurer experience, managing budgets for other charities or businesses, and we can also provide plenty of training specific to a church context. An enthusiasm and commitment to helping the Church grow is the most important thing. Our finances are in a good place but we need a more expert eye to help us plan for the future.
Please send your CV to the listed email below. You may also get in touch via email with the Rector, the Rev'd Erin Clark, for an informal conversation about this post if you would like.