Job description: Communications Officer
Job title: Communications Officer
Location: Flexible, home and/or our London office. We are currently working from home but in the future we will be asking everyone to attend the office one day a month so we have the opportunity to meet and collaborate in-person. Outside of this one day a month, it will be up to you whether you want to work fully from home or to attend the office more regularly. We are more interested in the quality and content of your work, and your ability to work with others and to deadlines, than where you work.
Reporting to: Programmes Director
Hours: full-time (we are open to considering flexible arrangements, such as a job share, flexible working hours etc.)
Salary: up to £30,000
As the sole member of communications staff in a small team in our UK office, you’ll work closely with the Programmes Director and staff across our UK and Nigeria teams to drive our communications strategy and deliver day-to-day communications work. This includes the editing and production of publications, maintaining and updating our website and social media channels, producing copy and basic graphic design content, and engaging with our media contacts. You’ll be the one who will define how our outputs are represented externally and ensure that our brand identity and voice are defined and maintained across all of our materials. A large part of the role involves working with project teams to oversee and support the delivery of project-specific communications plans. This is a wide ranging role, with scope to progress in SDN by assuming higher-levels of responsibility and autonomy in managing our communications work.
We’d ideally like you to have at least three years of relevant experience, with a good level of experience in producing and designing communications content; managing and producing publications, website and social media content; contributing to the development and implementation of campaigns; and copy-writing and editing. These are tasks which are crucial to keeping our basic communications functions running, so you’ll need a portfolio demonstrating proficiency in Adobe CC in particular Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator, and website management via a WordPress CMS.
The purpose of the role is to develop and manage SDN’s communications activities to maximise the influence of our work. The role has three main objectives:
- To develop and manage SDN’s communications systems and processes.
- To directly support the communications elements of SDN projects (e.g. events, publications and campaigns).
- To build a strong external presence and awareness of SDN and its work.
Objective 1: To develop and manage SDN’s communications systems and processes.
- Develop and manage systems and processes for communications activities and ensure these are followed (e.g. for the development of publications, website updates).
- Act as a brand guardian and champion, advising others to ensure all content and messaging is on-brand.
- Maintain a document management system of communication materials.
- Monitor the performance of SDN’s communications (e.g. via website analytics)
- Support the development and implementation of the SDN communications strategy.
Objective 2: To directly support the communications elements of SDN projects (e.g. events, publications and campaigns).
- Support and manage the development and delivery of project-level communications plans. This includes designing and producing website and social media content; managing publication development and dissemination; supporting the delivery of campaigns, events and other stakeholder engagements; and tracking communications expenses.
- Write high quality, compelling copy in a range of styles, primarily for social media, websites and press releases.
- Work with external photographers, filmmakers and designers to commission and produce content including graphics and video.
- Line/project manage, or coordinate, communications staff as necessary to ensure coordinated external communications, field support to projects, and efficient application of communications human resources.
Objective 3: To build a strong external presence and awareness of SDN and its work.
- Develop and own all communications channels to ensure key audiences are being reached through email (e.g. mailing list), social media, the website, and other channels.
- Design and produce content for social media, website, and email channels.
- Support the management of media requests and the development of a network of media contacts.
- Represent SDN at external meetings and events as requested
- To abide by SDN’s policies, including its Code of Conduct, Safeguarding Policy and Anti-Fraud and Corruption policy
- Where relevant, line manage team members, and manage the work of consultants/external partners
- Any other duties that are reasonably asked of you
The work we do here at SDN varies day to day so we need someone who is dynamic and reliable, who can work under pressure and deliver efficiently and effectively. The successful candidate will have:
- 3+ years’ communications experience working in a multi-channel communications role
- Experience in copywriting, editing, and proofreading.
- Experience of coordinating and producing publications.
- Experience of managing, developing and updating content for outlets such as websites and social media.
- Experience of managing a WordPress website CMS, including Search Engine Optimisation (SEO), site navigation, Gutenberg page structuring, and content updates with basic HTML knowledge.
- Demonstrable competence in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe InDesign.
- Track record of communications project delivery, such as campaign planning and implementation and evaluation, and achieving key campaign objectives.
- Ability to manage staff in a matrix-management structure and remotely, and/or experience managing/coordinating the work of others.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and have the ability to communicate with a variety of people at all levels.
- Flare for writing concise, compelling copy in plain English, according to a house Style Guide.
- Experience with Google Analytics 4, Adwords, and Search Console.
- Competence in Adobe Premiere Pro/video editing.
- A good eye for what makes a photograph effective, and technical knowledge of DSLRs.
- Experience in creating specifications for colleagues embarking on content gathering field trips.
Please check the attached document for more information.
Please review the job description above carefully. Applications should be made by midnight 24/10/2021. Please provide:
1. Your CV
2. A two-page maximum cover letter, which explicitly addresses each point in the person specification below
You are also welcome to provide examples of work from your portfolio if you wish. Interviews for the role will be held online and we will aim to review applications on a rolling-basis, so please do apply early.
Only shortlisted candidates will receive further correspondence. If you have not heard from us by 07/11/2021, please assume your application was unsuccessful on this occasion.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.