StandOut are thrilled to announce an exciting opportunity to come and join our dynamic team as one of our StandOut coaches, working in HMP Wandsworth and the surrounding community to support men coming out of prison.
StandOut is an exciting and young organisation that equips men who are coming up for release from prison with the skills, confidence and mindset to succeed. The StandOut Programme was launched in HMP Wandsworth in 2017 and in the Autumn of 2019, we expanded our reach into HMP Pentonville. Covid19 put a temporary pause on Programme delivery but we expect to work with our prison partners to re-establish delivery as soon as release from lock down permits. In the interim we have pivoted our approach and set up a Helpline to support prison leavers from our partner prisons and we expect this work to continue for the foreseeable future.
As Support Coach, you will work with the Lead Coach in HMP Wandsworth, taking a key role in the delivery of the StandOut Programme. You will also have a caseload of trainees who you will work with through the gate and into the community for as long as they require our support. It is an important role that will build on the success of StandOut’s first 3 years and represents a unique opportunity for someone who would like to help shape the future of our work and get stuck in at this early and important stage of our journey.
PROGRAMME DELIVERY AND POST-RELEASE SUPPORT
- Delivery of StandOut Programme in Phases 1 and 2 in HMP Wandsworth.
- Manage volunteer involvement in the programme including liaising with employer partners, managing volunteers for CV workshops, mock interviews and hosting external guests at graduations.
- Assist reporting to the Programme Director on course progress and outcomes
- Leading on support for Wandsworth trainees after their release with a focus on preparing them for employment, education and training.
- Liaise with StandOut’s wider partner organisations and employers to support trainees.
- Manage the collection and entry of all data to facilitate through the gate support and the collation of information to measure impact.
- Advocate on the trainee’s behalf to ensure where possible they are set up with what they need prior to and following release.
- Manning the helpline on days you are on the rota first and second responder, providing support for those approaching release or those having just been released
- Issuing StandOut Grants and Release Packs to those requiring financial and practical assistance
- Providing high quality customer service to every caller through effective signposting, link and referral work
- Offering IAG and coaching support to callers in need of assistance and guidance and reassurance
- Seek every opportunity to connect with other service providers to maximise joined up working and build on StandOut’s reputation, expertise and professionalism.
- Develop employment opportunities and progression routes for trainees, working with the team to develop partnerships with employers.
- Liaise with the HMP Wandsworth’s Head of Reducing Reoffending and Head of Learning and Skills and other agencies working in the prison including the CRC and Probations teams and other third sector partners.
Skills and Qualities
- Highly organised with the ability to prioritise effectively and multi-task when under pressure.
- Ability to be flexible in an ever changing environment.
- Competent in Microsoft programmes and accurate and efficient in typing and work methods.
- High emotional intelligence and effective interpersonal skills.
- A confident and enthusiastic communicator who is able to connect with a range of audiences.
- A fast learner with strong attention to detail.
- Previous experience working in a prison or a range of work that has given you a good understanding of the challenges faced by those caught up in the criminal justice system.
- Experience delivering programmes or facilitating group work.
- Previous coaching experience (desirable)
- Heart for working with those in the criminal justice system and a commitment to seeing them make a success of resettlement after prison.
- An appreciation for coaching and its effectiveness when working with people wanting to move forward in life and to effect change.
- Ability personally to represent the values of StandOut.
- Someone who takes pride in forming professional relationships and is able to work effectively with all third party stakeholders.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.