Steel Warriors aims to reduce the number of people carrying knives in the UK. We take all seized and surrendered knives from London’s streets, melt them down, and recycle the steel into free outdoor calisthenics gyms. We believe lives should be built on steel, not destroyed by it.
We launched our first gym in 2017 and have been blown away by the response. Our campaign has had extensive press coverage, allowing us to reach millions and we have been lucky to have the support of several influential figures, including the boxer Anthony Joshua, who has become our Patron.
Excitingly, we have recently partnered with the Co-op and over the next two years we will be building a further 20 gyms in areas worst affected by knife crime in the UK. On top of this, we want to roll out an extensive and effective community programme that encourages as many people as possible into calisthenics and away from knife crime.
We are looking for someone highly motivated and with a strong interest in the issue of knife crime to join our growing team and design, refine, implement and manage our community programme. We would ideally like someone with a couple of years of relevant experience (be that community, events, project management etc) and a proven track record of delivering in a similar working environment. Given the small team and start up like environment you may be asked to help across a number of areas of charity business but your key responsibilities will be:
- Designing, introducing and managing the fitness training programme (3 training sessions a week at each gym).
- Recruiting trainers from the local community for each location.
- Building online and social media capability to support the training programme.
- Generating as much interest in and usage of the training programme as possible.
- Building relationships and looking for ways we could work with other local organisations like youth centres, sports clubs, schools, and charities.
- Working with team on early stage app development to ensure online and offline training programme are in sync.
- Arrange launch events for each new gym, starting with two in September.
- Identify and invite key personnel- press, VIPs, Minister(s), MPs, Peers, local government, calisthenics pros etc
- Demonstrations, classes, tech, talks, food & drink, leasing with councils etc.
- Working with our partners to involve and engage them at the event.
- We are running a competition programme and we need support to launch and manage these.
- Working with our partners to manage and launch various festival event activations.
Strong sense of initiative, hardworking, honest, open minded, organised, good professional presence, collaborative.
Computer skills, Microsoft (PowerPoint, Word, Excel), Google Suite (docs, Strong communicator (written and verbal), interpersonal skills, experience in the charity sector, social media experience, public speaking.