We are looking for a talented Research and Insight Officer to join the External Affairs team at StepChange Debt Charity in London. This role is responsible for supporting the development and management of client insight and research projects activities. Using effective research and analysis you will play a key role in enabling the charity to make the right decisions for our clients, as well as influencing public policy.
With this role you will enjoy a hybrid working model, combining working from home with some days in Stepchange offices.
What you will be doing
- Support the development of the External Affairs capacity to produce high quality innovative and impactful research; using and creating quantitative and qualitative data sets and holding and growing the knowledge and skills of statistical techniques necessary to deliver rich interpretation of the data
- Analyse data from internal and external data sets in order to drive insights and support ongoing and ad hoc research and policy projects.
- Conduct survey research with clients, including advising colleagues across the charity on framing research questions, effective survey design and supporting colleagues with survey analysis where necessary.
- Use other quantitative and qualitative methods to conduct other research with StepChange Debt Charity clients for policy and research projects.
- Manage the analysis, content and publication of regular research publications for instance, the charity’s annual Statistics Yearbook and monthly data reports
- Support External Affairs colleagues to deliver effective research and analysis by supporting and monitoring, identifying development needs and training where necessary.
- Support External Affairs engagement with colleagues across the charity to maximise the capture of ‘social policy’ evidence arising from colleagues’ interactions with our clients and to ensure the views and experience of client facing colleagues feed into our policy and influencing work.
- Represent the Charity by presenting our research and insight findings at external events and in the media
- Work with external contacts and stakeholders to develop and manage delivery of joint research and insight projects
- Stay up to date with key research publications and statistics that impact StepChange’s work
What we want from you
- Excellent understanding of, and the ability to use, Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint
- Fluent understanding of key common statistical concepts and techniques and working knowledge of more complex techniques and research methodologies
- Demonstrable experience of quantitative and qualitative research techniques, in a context relevant to influencing public policy and opinion
- Experience of developing, writing up and presenting findings of research projects to a variety of audiences
- Good understanding of third sector (desirable)
- Education to at least degree level preferably in a subject with research statistics content (desirable)
- Understanding or experience of debt/and/or financial services issues (desirable)
- Experience of working in a policy or communications environment (desirable)
- A good working understanding of SPSS or similar statistics software packages (desirable)
- Experience of managing projects (desirable)
What we offer you
- 24 days annual leave (this increases by one day per year up to a maximum of 29), plus bank holidays
- The opportunity to buy and sell annual leave
- Hybrid working– with IT equipment provided when you’re working from home
- A personal career plan and ongoing training and development and support with role-related professional subscriptions and qualifications
- Travel season ticket loans
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Group pension scheme
- Group Company Life Assurance
- Westfield Health cash plan with employee discounts in high street shops
- Vitality at Work health and wellbeing
- Employee assistance programme
- Access to financial planning and advice
- 2 days paid volunteering leave per year
- Family friendly pay: pre-adoption/fertility/surrogacy and post-adoption pay
- Long service awards
- Free hot drinks (tea, coffee, hot chocolate) in the office
Who we are
StepChange are the UK’s leading debt charity, contacted by hundreds of thousands of people a year online and by phone, across all nations and regions. We help people in debt to sleep at night knowing that they have a realistic plan to address their financial problems. We support people to take back control of their situation and we never judge.
Does this sound like you? If so, why not apply today.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.