Streamz was founded as a result of the 2011 English Riots. The events that took place during this time compelled us to empathise, engage and enrich our community. Our Mission is to be committed to finding innovative approaches to improve the employment prospects and wellbeing of the community, in order to counter unemployment, under-employment and inactivity. The Streamz Café, as well as serving the community drinks and food, is a tool for local people to gain new skills around hospitality and café operation.
The Café Counter Volunteer is the first point of contact for local residents and people working in the area who use the café. As a volunteer, your role will encompass not only helping to support the running of the café but also to make our visitors feel welcome and be part of making the café a local and friendly place to visit. The Café Counter Volunteer will also have the privilege and responsibility of working alongside refugees who are seeking to develop their spoken English and understanding of British culture and therefore tolerance and patience is paramount for the post holder.
As a Café Counter Volunteer, you will have the opportunity to get involved in all or some of the following roles:
- Provide a really friendly face for the café and make our visitors feel welcome
- Replenish and appropriately display food and drink
- Maintain excellent levels of hygiene in the preparation area, rest rooms, exterior and serving areas of the café
- Promote Streamz Café through leafleting and other means
- Answer café telephone in a polite and professional manner
- Accurately process transactions through cash registry
- Work alongside and train people new to the country for whom English is an additional language
- Provides quality espresso shots to prepare a range of beverages
- Communicate with co-workers to improve service and solve problems
- Contribute to setting up/opening and packing away/closing of the café
- Carry out ad hoc tasks assigned by the Streamz Manager